Dressage attire

Spellbound13

Visit site
Hi everyone
this year im going to do beginners dressage on my very young cob, i only started breaking her last october, and our trot and walk work is really coming along, we havnt tried the dreaded canter just yet hehe, but we are going to tackle the Intro walk and trot tests just as practice this year and some fun.

But my question is .. shes a black cob, no colouring on her at all, just black, she is very shiney, and obviously with a white numnah, white jodhs and black jacket i dont want to look like im going to a funeral, I was wondering if you can wear a brightly coloured stock instead of plain white or cream, I have seen some lovely red ones for sale, but didnt want to purchase one if its not allowed, I know its only beginners dressage but next year we will be aiming for prelim/novice so i dont want to be having to purchase more stocks etc if i cant wear a nice coloured one.

Whats your thoughs? thanks xx

MissSBird

Visit site
Traditionally coloured stocks are worn with tweed jackets - if you had one of these it may break up the monochrome colour a bit! They are perfectly acceptable for intro, prelim and novice dressage.

The other option might be a navy jacket, cream stock and beige/fawn/cream breeches?

Spellbound13

Visit site
Traditionally coloured stocks are worn with tweed jackets - if you had one of these it may break up the monochrome colour a bit! They are perfectly acceptable for intro, prelim and novice dressage.

The other option might be a navy jacket, cream stock and beige/fawn/cream breeches?

I do Have a tweed, but its grey, and a very boring grey!

unfortunatly I cant afford a new tweed untill next year as im saving for a trailer and its our first ever time anywhere away from the yard, so didnt want to spend lots.
If I get a red wastecoat to match it might not look so random to have a red stock.

Thank you for your help :)

Ferdinase514

Visit site
If you want to be properly turned out then you should wear a white or cream stock with a black jacket. Will look smart.

Personally, I cant stand coloured stocks with blue and black jackets.

jessamess

Visit site
no coloured stocks only worn with tweed

white/cream stocks with blue/back!!!

a coloured stock wouldn't look right with black jacket!!

eta: anyways you wont look like your going to a funeral, thats what everyyyy one where's in dressage lol

ace87

Visit site
You could wear a white/cream blingy one? I have a cream one with pearls on it which is rather fancy or a white one with silver stitching and diamante stock pins on both :)

Spellbound13

Visit site
Thanks everyone

Im going to stick with the cream Stock and White shirt.
My cream stock has embroided horses on and sparkly bits already.

I guess i was trying to be too over the top hehe.

I also prefare black jackets to navy

thank you

TheoryX1

Visit site
I have a jet black show cob, and oddly enough grey tweed looks great. I used to show him, when he was younger and I had time and I wore a bluey/grey tweed jacket, beige breeches, and a white shirt with blue polka dot tie, or a stock in the same material. Also had a blue velvet riding hat. It all looked good against the black. Also had black tack as well (didnt show at county level though), and we didnt look like we were off to a funeral.

Mind you I did wear black for hunting and dressage with a black hat and it looked absolutely fab. However, he does have white socks and a big white start, it did break up the black a bit.

Have lots of fun and we need photos.

Spellbound13

Visit site
I have a jet black show cob, and oddly enough grey tweed looks great. I used to show him, when he was younger and I had time and I wore a bluey/grey tweed jacket, beige breeches, and a white shirt with blue polka dot tie, or a stock in the same material. Also had a blue velvet riding hat. It all looked good against the black. Also had black tack as well (didnt show at county level though), and we didnt look like we were off to a funeral.

Mind you I did wear black for hunting and dressage with a black hat and it looked absolutely fab. However, he does have white socks and a big white start, it did break up the black a bit.

Have lots of fun and we need photos.

aww sounds lovely.
Personaly i dont like blue hats (i have no idea why)
I cant wait till i get my tweed next year :)

oh thanks I will have lots of fun, not sure what shes going to be like as shes had a sheltered life and never been anywhere off the yard (appart from moving yards and hacking) she will be excited :)

Im a bit of a picoholic so there will be plenty of pics.

Im now worming to the idea of black and white looking very crisp and posh :)

thanks xx