Dressage Books - Any good ones?

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Can anyone recommend a good dressage book for me, someone who only knows the basics and would like to get into competing?

I'm on amazon and am fuelled by a couple glasses of wine, so suggestions please!
smirk.gif

peapod

Visit site
Yep - Down to Earth Dressage, by Carl Hester and Bernadette Faurie - it's very easy to read and explains things clearly and simply - it runs through the paces, what the typical problem areas are and how to help them etc etc. I would really recommend it!

peapod

Visit site
Oh not read that one! I'm in the same boat as you actually - I'd like to get into competing a bit of dressage (not sure how far I'll get on a hairy native, but I'll give it a go!)

I've also read a book by Sylvia Locke/Loch? and I *think* it's called "The Classical Seat" - it was very helpful when I was struggling to maintain a good position - lots of quick tips that really worked!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I'm buying a Susan McBane book too (£20 in shops, about £6 on amazon) as they just look like good reading. I love curling up when not riding and flicking through a good book.
smile.gif

I don't know how far I'll get competing either as my new horse is a bit of a speed demon
smirk.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
Dressage Tips and Training Solutions by Petra Holzel ; Wolfgang Holzel ; Martin Plewa & 101 Dressage Exercises for Horse and Rider by Jec Aristotle Ballou are both very good
smile.gif

Tharg

Visit site
Hhun, I`ve just bought the classical seat one by that author on Amazon a few days ago!. I`ve heard that Sylvia loche is very good. Also bought 101 schooling excerises for horse and rider. Currently oogling a book on ebay.....

seaofdreams

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yep - Down to Earth Dressage, by Carl Hester and Bernadette Faurie - it's very easy to read and explains things clearly and simply - it runs through the paces, what the typical problem areas are and how to help them etc etc. I would really recommend it!

[/ QUOTE ]

i also really liked this book and found it very helpfull

Farasi

Visit site
Hi, i agree with those suggesting books by Sylvia Loch. Also Dressage with Kyra by Kyra Kirkland (? spelling) is great. But any books by the master of dressage Reiner Klimke are a must. Good luck with your dressage my advice is go for it, enjoy - I did!