Dressage centre line

Cowpony

Visit site
One of the comments I often get from dressage judges is that I wasn't on the centre line when coming down the middle of the arena, or when turning onto it from a half circle. No matter how hard I try, I seem to get it wrong. It doesn't help that the A and C markers are not quite straight in the arena where I compete, nor that the way the judge's box is placed means that the judge isn't sitting directly behind C, but hey ho.

So I was quite surprised to see that in the Burghley dressage today they had a very visible line down the centre of the arena. It's clearly visible to the riders (so not a trick done by the TV company) because when a couple of them have been a bit off the line they have come back onto it within a couple of strides. It's the width of a lawnmower and I therefore guess that it's been done by mowing that particular line shorter than the rest of the arena, which is on grass. Is this normal? I've never noticed it in any other 3 day event (although I don't often watch the dressage phase) or dressage competition before. If it's legal in BD it would be jolly useful!

hobo

Visit site
Not sure I think it is more for the judges than the competitor. I have only seen it at top level and on grass oh and on the telly.

LiffWee93

Visit site
If you can, get someone to video you practicing centre lines from the judges perspective or hire somewhere with mirrors, it really helps :) I always thought the centre line was due to lots of horses riding down it! More fool me!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Look where you are going, turn you head, look for the letter C and line up on that. Use your ten metre circles to help you. Remember if you do miss the CL , correct your self quickly and your marks will be better

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You need to identify if you tend to go short (as in your horse cuts your intended line) or wide (as in the horse goes out through his shoulder and misses your intended line). You may well find he does one on one rein and one on the other. That would be connected to his general way of going, most horses have a tendency to cut the corner on one rein and drift out on the other. Then you can practice having the horse straight on his turns in all schooling situations.

Having a video or mirror would help, or you could mark the real line with a scuff on the school surface and see how accurate your footprints are on that line.

joolie

Visit site
I make sure I place lots of emphasis on my outside aids to turn on to the centre line so I really have my mare's shoulders with me and she's straight. I also push forward at a good paced trot as I find her less wobbly and our line is straighter. Really look up and ride positively forward! I have seen this at the top events before and thought I'd love to have the same to help me out!!

Tnavas

Visit site
Tips for riding the centre line. Line up C with the judge, making sure they stay immediately behind C.

If you really are sure the judge and C are not aligned, say something to the organiser.

Turning on to the centreline, when you get to the quarter marker before the turn look with your whole body at X. This body language will help your horse turn more easily and accurately.

Centrelines are often mown on grass arenas.

Cowpony

Visit site
You need to identify if you tend to go short (as in your horse cuts your intended line) or wide (as in the horse goes out through his shoulder and misses your intended line). You may well find he does one on one rein and one on the other. That would be connected to his general way of going, most horses have a tendency to cut the corner on one rein and drift out on the other. Then you can practice having the horse straight on his turns in all schooling situations.

Having a video or mirror would help, or you could mark the real line with a scuff on the school surface and see how accurate your footprints are on that line.

That's really interesting. One of the problems I have had when trying to improve is that we do both, but I've never identified it as being related to one rein or the other. I'll have to try it and see what happens on each rein.

alice.j

Visit site
When you have to turn up the centre line, don't turn up at (or just before) A; instead, ride a half 10 meter circle from F or K that ends with you turning up the centre line. I used to get it wrong so often because I went too deep into the corners and then over or undershoot the line. Riding a half 10 sets me up straight and on the line (usually!).

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
When I go down the centre line I look the judge in the eye and ride as if I was going to go through them. Centre lines are usually marked at FEI level, rolled on the surface, with the "invisible" letters (D,G,X, etc.) rolled across the CL also.

Cowpony

Visit site
My problem is that when I turn I lose sight of A, so although I am heading straight for C, I may not be on a straight line from A, if that makes sense. So I can't move back onto the centre line because I think I am already on it!

Good advice about doing a half circle to get there, rather than going too deep into the corner. I think that is part of the problem as I was always taught to ride into corners.

Tnavas

Visit site
My problem is that when I turn I lose sight of A, so although I am heading straight for C, I may not be on a straight line from A, if that makes sense. So I can't move back onto the centre line because I think I am already on it!

Good advice about doing a half circle to get there, rather than going too deep into the corner. I think that is part of the problem as I was always taught to ride into corners.

This when you need to line C and the judge up, do that and you are on th centre line.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
One of the comments I often get from dressage judges is that I wasn't on the centre line when coming down the middle of the arena, or when turning onto it from a half circle. No matter how hard I try, I seem to get it wrong. It doesn't help that the A and C markers are not quite straight in the arena where I compete, nor that the way the judge's box is placed means that the judge isn't sitting directly behind C, but hey ho.

So I was quite surprised to see that in the Burghley dressage today they had a very visible line down the centre of the arena. It's clearly visible to the riders (so not a trick done by the TV company) because when a couple of them have been a bit off the line they have come back onto it within a couple of strides. It's the width of a lawnmower and I therefore guess that it's been done by mowing that particular line shorter than the rest of the arena, which is on grass. Is this normal? I've never noticed it in any other 3 day event (although I don't often watch the dressage phase) or dressage competition before. If it's legal in BD it would be jolly useful!

Look to the letter for the turn, once turning look for your arrival letter & keep looking until you prepare for your next turn.

Haniki

Visit site
My riding club holds dressage competitions on grass and we mow the centre line if possible. (ie we have use of a petrol lawnmower).