Dressage Competitions

LennynLevi5

Visit site
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of any big dressage competitions the only one I know is Trailblazers. (I am unaffiliated at the moment.)

There are so many big shows for showing where you can qualify for evening performances and bigger events. Is there any big dressage comps at unaffliated or affiliated?
confused.gif

Those who are affiliated is it worth it if you are competing at Novice level?

Thanks
grin.gif

ihatework

Visit site
Where are you located, there are often local unaffiliated championships around apart from trailblazers.
Near to me here are Chiltern and Thames Rider competitions which are all low key unaff.
I compete at lower level aff and yes I do think it's worth it, generally more consistent judging, and you get prizemoney
laugh.gif

LennynLevi5

Visit site
Thanks for reply B&J!

Can you tell me anymore about being affiliated. I know you get BD points, but once you reach a certain amount of points does that stop you from competing at certain levels.

If you do I suppose thats better because you can get trophy hunters in unaffiliated sometimes. I am north west so if anyone knows of anything in this area please let me know?

Thanks.

Divasmum

Visit site
Personally I think it is worth just going for it and affiliating. Not only will it enable you to qualify for regionals and national championships but you can also have access to training and camps both in byrds (under 25s) and as an adult. Affiliated prelim competions carry no points but novice and above do.Many riders are perfectly happy to compete at the lower levels but others like to work their way up.Just go for it.

Fanatical

Visit site
I am in the North West and affiliate - there are plenty of good venues around. I definitely think it is worth affiliating - as above, the judging is generally more consistent and you have goals to work towards if you want to qualify for Area Festivals, or regionals etc.

sperks93

Visit site
Hi,
I'm in the SW but i'm afilliated, I only do dressage and I must say BD is great!
smile.gif
I started at novice when I first affliliated, you can have up to 124 points to compete at novice, so I your horse has no points already, you will have a while competing at this level. You can meet great people in BD, I'm 16 and BD has really got me out there, I'm now on the SW BYRDS team, I've competed at the regionals and U25's Champs with one horse who is now at Medium and am aiming for a spot on the Junior team with other horse who is at Inter 1. BD also has fab trainers, I'm lucky enough to be training with Rhegan White and I'm starting training with Emile Faurie aswell soon. As for big competitions, of course there are the Regionals or even the Nationals if you have what it takes, there are two of these a year, Summer and Winter. If you don't quite make it to the regionals there are the Area Festivals, which are easier to qualify for, and have the big show feel with beautiful sashes and the championships held alongside the winter nationals. As for big unaffiliated shows, Cricklands in S Wales is fab, there are two a year, they are held over a long weekend and the final placings are decided on your % acrross the 3 days, lots of fab prizes, and it's only 58% at a qualifying show to get in. It is at Prelim and Novice.
Good Luck and If you have any more questions about BD or anything, I'll try my best to answer them!:D
DD
xxxxx

lar

Visit site
Whereabouts in the North West? There's also the Prestige Championships held at Croft top and nationally there's UK Riders.

Locally there is Aintree's championship show for which last year they also opened the qualifiers up to a few select venues. Excellent prizes on offer I understand.

If you're anywhere near Cheshire some friends of mine run the Croft and Cockshot dressages where you get points through the summer and finish with a lovely championship show in early Autumn - everyone gets a stable plaque, mounted prize giving to 10th and prizes to 6th.

I've found over the last couple of years that, in this area anyway, most venues now use listed judges even for unaffiliateds. The odd bits of affiliated I've done I've generally been judged by people that have judged us before unaffiliated