Dressage Double Debut

trendybraincell

Visit site
Fellow livery was competing at Burrows Court and very kindly took The Welsh Cob and I along :) After a discussion with my trainer, I was pretty much told it was time I went out and tried him in the double bridle and that I was not aloud to do the easier non qualifier test...I had to do E57. It's not beyond him at all, but the last few tests I've done I've managed to mess up :rolleyes:

Shadow can be a bit stubborn to load and it was his first trip in this new lorry, but with positive thoughts we got up the ramp on the second go. Unfortunately he tends to leave his back end on the ramp and needs to be pushed in, ordinarily thats fine but this lorry pools water on the roof :eek: so as he's half on the lorry this waterfall comes cascading off the back of the lorry all over his back. Que full reverse down the ramp :( Can hardly blame him, thankfully he didn't use it as an excuse to not load again and again 2nd time went up...this time my friend was ready and shoved his ass in just as another waterfall came off the back :eek:

Travelled and arrived in good time. Friend was up first with N35, I stood on the bank and did my very best impression of a loud speaker. She did a really good test, few inaccuracy but much more forward than her horse is usually. Back to the lorry to start getting mine ready and get myself half dressed...which was an achievement in itself as I only learnt to tie my stock the night before. Then back to read E44 for friend, it was their first elementary together and I think she did a stellar job :D really proud of them.

Then it was my turn :) As I went round the warm up I discovered nice new white jods had a button that sat right on my ankle bone :mad: que me dribbling out of the warm up pulling strange faces waving to friends to come rescue me!! Whipped boot and gaitor off and proceed to pull the offending button off in a hulk like fit of rage :D Warm up was fine, could have been more off the leg but the leg yields felt great, really moving off my leg.

Into the test. I'm still putting all my energy into making sure I remember the test that I don't ride him to the best of my ability, so simple changes where pants, dropped marks in silly places but sheet was all 6s and 7s, so nice and consistent. Finished 3rd with 65%, our best elementary mark yet and only 3% off the lead, which if I knuckle down and ride him like I can at home, I think is more than achievable :)

Got home and unloaded, popped shadow in his stable for his usual post comp wee, and instead he circled and got down :confused: most unlike him, went in and check him, got back and and straight back down :( very worried me. Having had him most of his life I knew that he wasn't normal, dragged him up and out to walk round the yard for 10 minutes. Went back in stable to check temp etc (all normal), friend came in to check, she was stood in front of him and he would normally be trying to pull on coat zips or yank velcro...nothing just stood looking very sorry for himself :(

Vet was very quick to get to us, checked over and found same as me. Temp, heart rate normal but gut sounds a little quiet. Gave him some mild painkillers and was to go back down to check on him about 9. Thankfully when I went back down to check on him he practically ripped the arm off my coat :eek: was certainly feeling better so a little hay and I was on my way home to bed :rolleyes:

Hopefully might have a few pics when photographer friend uploads later :)
Spongebob Square Pants chocolate lolly pop and various flavoured cupcakes for those who made it to the end :p

trendybraincell

Visit site
522135_10150730114223380_581833379_9860804_2088785081_n.jpg

574541_10150730114133380_581833379_9860802_636846445_n.jpg

Good pony
385653_10150730114963380_581833379_9860813_908895955_n.jpg

Last edited:

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
Well done, sounds like a good day for you both. Lovely photos too.

Do you not like having your test called for you? Just find it helps me concentrate on my riding.

trendybraincell

Visit site
Well done, sounds like a good day for you both. Lovely photos too.

Do you not like having your test called for you? Just find it helps me concentrate on my riding.

The daft thing is for the recent string of mistake ridden tests I've had a caller!!! :eek: So I decided this time that since I only ride one test I really should be able to learn it!

PS...I get asked most times we're out if I plait his tail?! Urgh the meer thought of plaiting it, there far to much hair...plaiting his mane is bad enough! I maxed out at 22 plaits yesterday :rolleyes:

Lolo

Visit site
I read the post title as "Dressage Double Bent" and was mildly confused for a few moments! He looks stunning and so chilled in the arena :D Loving the hulk description as well!

I hate having a reader in the dressage, I can't do lefts and rights so always tie myself in knots...

trendybraincell

Visit site
I read the post title as "Dressage Double Bent" and was mildly confused for a few moments! He looks stunning and so chilled in the arena :D Loving the hulk description as well!

I hate having a reader in the dressage, I can't do lefts and rights so always tie myself in knots...

Thats really how it went, well after I came out of the warm up like a small child crying!! :rolleyes: Yes he's always chilled out, sometimes I grumble because he could do with being more forward for dressage but he's so reliable I wouldn't change him :)

Neither do I but thats why you have gloves with L and R on :D

Haha thats brilliant!

Karran

Visit site
I hate having a reader in the dressage, I can't do lefts and rights so always tie myself in knots..

When schooling I wear one green glove on the left and a blue on the right. It was a disaster the day I lost Green and had to change it round... :( I ended up in a group lesson trying to ride my confused beast into my friend and her equally confused horse.

cliodhna

Visit site
He is so handsome! I love reading reports of ponio's doing dressage. More pics of this little man please!! :)