Dressage girth on GP saddle?

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Just a thought..may be totally stupid, would it be possible to attatch girth exetenders to GP saddle girth straps in order to be able to use a dressage girth?

Pippity

Visit site
My saddle fitter's opinion was that it would be very unstable. (I was hoping to use his existing Fairfax dressage girth on a GP saddle to avoid having to shell out for a second one. Turned out Fairfax didn't do one long enough, anyway, so he got a Harry Dabbs waffle and was perfectly happy.)

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
My saddle fitter's opinion was that it would be very unstable. (I was hoping to use his existing Fairfax dressage girth on a GP saddle to avoid having to shell out for a second one. Turned out Fairfax didn't do one long enough, anyway, so he got a Harry Dabbs waffle and was perfectly happy.)
Thank you for your reply!
Sounds similar to me I have a lovely dressage girth I was hoping to use with GP saddle but did wonder whether it would be unstable :-(

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hmmmm there is some research around girth and girth lengths and how most girths are too short and impinge the pectoralis muscles. The buckles should ideally be above the point of the shoulder in a straight line - the higher the better.

I would question why you'd want to use a short girth for GP (assume for jumping?) as a longer girth is far more comfortable for the horse and more secure for you. I had my dressage saddle billets shortened and I use a very long girth for comfort and stability.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Hmmmm there is some research around girth and girth lengths and how most girths are too short and impinge the pectoralis muscles. The buckles should ideally be above the point of the shoulder in a straight line.

I would question why you'd want to use a short girth for GP (assume for jumping?) as a longer girth is far more comfortable for the horse and more secure for you. I had my dressage saddle billets shortened and I use a very long girth for comfort and stability.
Thank you TallyHo, my pony has recently had a new GP fitted (outgrown her old dressage saddle hence the dressage girth) we went for GP option as we now don’t do solely dressage we jump too so needed something to suit day to day. The new GP is lovely we do some jumping and dressage just general stuff really so was just wondering whether I could still use the dressage girth and extend the girth straps at all but don’t see this done often so assume there is good reason for it eg unstable!! A long girth will do us just fine :) will have to part with my D Girth ha ha

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a long girth n my dressage saddle for comfort for the horse, but also a monoflap jumping saddle... so I can't see the problem with a short girth for a GP.

I do think that long girths are more comfortable for the horse.

I would not have some weird girth extender arrangement though, I would swap the girth straps, and maybe have a keeper at the bottom of the flap for them to go through if you are worried about stability.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Longer girths are ultimately always more comfortable for the horse, we go monoflap and short girths, or customised long girth straps, purely for our own comfort and to get the leg close to the horse. For long girths go as short as possible, and for short girths as long as possible!