Dressage girth

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I've just bought a new (to me) dressage saddle so I'm now in the market for a dressage girth. I'm not looking for anything fancy just an easy to care for, comfortable girth. I like elastic at both ends and he has a slight forward girth groove but nothing dramatic. I would like something along the harry dabbs lines but can't see a dressage version

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I think you have a few choices then as it's a reasonably common shape. I'm not as up on dressage girths as I am on long girths, but make sure any elastic is strong - ideally trebled or very wide, cheaper girths tend to have weak elastic. Hopefully some others can recommend styles that fit the bill.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Do you know what sort of shape your horse is, relative to the girth groove? The Mattes girths are very nice but even if you don't opt for one this will help you work out the short of shape(s) that might work - https://shop.mattes-equestrian.com/girth-shapes-and-how-to-measure-correctly

Just a quick question @sbloom.. if that’s ok. I bought a Le Mieux Gel Tek girth which turns out is the wrong shape for my mare. All the pressure is at one edge. I believe she will be a Mattes Cresent shape.. and have found one second hand.

Although I just measured her as per Mattes website. From the Bottom of the saddle flaps either side she is 135cm, they then say to take 30cm off making it 105cm. Sounds to small, is that correct? The girth straps are short because it’s a jump saddle.

She’s always been in a 50” girth which is approx 125cm.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Much too small, taking off 30cm would be for a short girth and long straps I would imagine, sorry, I've not seen those instructions before. For a long girth you want the shortest that will do up - keeps the buckles low and away from the rider's knee, and helps with stability.