dressage girths

nagseastsussex

Visit site
:confused: Hi not sure if im in the right place to ask this but could someone please tell me how to measure a dressage girth. just got my daugher a wintec dressage saddle with long girth straps but not sure where the girth should be in relation to the body of the horse, I dont want to cause her any discomfort cos its too low down. Obviously I know her normal girth size is 44. Sorry if this is a really stupid question!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
There is a rule of thimb to subtract 20" from the long girth that you use but it's not that simple. I would go for the longest girth you can get below the largest pad that you use, not just avoiding the saddle flap but the pad as well. If the girth is too short it will sit on the more sensitive muscles lower down the ribcage, and you can end up with the buckles etc too near the elbow.

The other thing is that unlike long girths, there is usually padding beyond the buckles. As they are measured buckle to buckle and it is the overall measurement that is of concern, the "published" length you buy will depend on the trype of girth.

My 16.2 wb had a 52" long girth and a 28" ReactorPanel girth which had at least 2" of padding beyond the buckles on each side, so probably could have taken a 32" in some makes, which takes you to the rule of thumb :D

coss

Visit site
The mare i ride was in a 46" (ish - may have stretched to 48!) for gp saddle, but the saddle although gp was more jump cut.
Current dressage saddle needs a 26 inch girth but can use 24" without the prolite pad (depends on numnah). So 20" is a good estimate.
Pony i ride was in a 42inch with his gp saddle (about 5 years ago). Been in a dressage saddle since and use 22 or 24 inch again depending on saddlecloth.

BombayMix

Visit site
I thought the rule of thumb was that whatever the normal length of girth is you half it and then add 2"

So 44" halfed is 22" + 2 = 24" << exactly the same as my boy used to wear (44 for a long girth and 24 for a short)

coss

Visit site
I thought the rule of thumb was that whatever the normal length of girth is you half it and then add 2"

So 44" halfed is 22" + 2 = 24" << exactly the same as my boy used to wear (44 for a long girth and 24 for a short)

but then you get lots of odd numbers - 46/2+2=25 - so would you round up or down?