Dressage - Hanging Cheek Snaffle Question

PetalPower

Visit site
First ever post! I wonder if I could pick the brains of the more experienced dressage people - I currently ride my Prelim level mare in a hanging cheek, French link snaffle. I recently overheard a dressage trainer and a dressage judge discussing the belief that on seeing such a bit being used, the assumption could be made that the horse had a difficult or fussy mouth. Whilst the comment wasn't made about my horse, I'm obviously concerned that she could be construed as difficult when she's not!! I would much appreciate your thoughts on this type of bit in dressage.

KatB

Visit site
Welcome!

I have heard similar, but have also seen many horses go in these bits and get very good marks... so if it is what is best for your horse, I would stick with it!!
tongue.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
My mare is currently in one of these...
smile.gif

To be quite honest, a dressage judge should not really be assessing why the horse is in the particular tack/bit etc (unless of course it is not legal), rather that they should be assessing how the horse is going as a whole in keeping with the levels of training etc etc.

The bit is BD legal, therefore should not be questioned.

A loose ring can be helpful for horses who set on the bit and become inflexible in a fixed ring... are these looked at as horses that are stiff into the contact?

Don't worry about it... if your horse goes well than I say if it is not broke, then don't fix it
tongue.gif

millitiger

Visit site
i've actually never heard that before.

Pilfer wears one for dressage and is certainly not fussy in the mouth...
and he is regularly top 3 after dressage when we are eventing so i wouldn't worry too much about your marks being affected!

Divasmum

Visit site
I do quite a lot of writing for judges. To be quite honest they are kept very busy looking at the way of going/movements etc and very rarely comment about tack either on or off the record.