Dressage horse for loan??

_jetset_

Visit site
Having spoken to my Dad, I have decided to look for a dressage type horse to loan while Hannah is in foal and has the foal at foot. It would be for around 12 months and I would need to keep it on the DIY livery yard Hannah is on.

Do horses like this exist? I have never loaned before so don't really know where to start or where to look... I am looking for 16.1hh-17.2hh gelding or mare that either competes in dressage or has the potential.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Munchie

Visit site
Try places like horsemart as they have a loan section or add your own 'wanted' advert.

There a plenty of horses about for loan if you look about and most horses are capable of doing a good prelim /novice test so you shouldnt have too many problems finding something
laugh.gif

Good luck!

_jetset_

Visit site
Poor baby... I thought you were breeding now??

Been looking on Horsemart etc but many just not what I am looking for... looking to do Nov, Elem and Med with whatever it is if it's already schooled, or bringing on a youngster and starting it going out.

Tempi

Visit site
breeding/loaning to JNR/carrying on and having a bash at medium, WHO KNOWS????????!!!!!! i just dont know what to do with her at the moment...........part of me thinks that il keep going over the winter get her schooled to medium level by my trainer then do some mediums - you never know she might be good at it once she knows what shes meant to be doing - but then if that fails il just stick her in foal as id really love her to have one..........im just so undecided its not true!! going to ask my trainer what she thinks in my lesson next wk and go from there really!

Hows Han? bet shes enjoying the easy pregnant life!

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh yes, she's actually getting better at relaxing although still being a bugger to ride! She just gets so excited when she is tacked up and ready to go... I thought as she eased off the work she would ease off the silliness. No such hope!

vic07

Visit site
Personally I would never loan a dressage horse, it is too big a risk with an extremely expensive horse. Someone could easily undo all that work.

Having said that if you are prepared to accept a horse with ifs and buts you can sometimes loan. I loaned an ageing elem mare with bad arthritis, poor wind and some questionable habits. We had her for 6 years and took her to psg. But I thnk loaning a horse of this ability was unusual and we did have to work hard with managing her problems etc.... I got given her through word of mouth, I would therefore talk to your trainer and any contacts you have as I think you are more likely to get something as it appears more reliable.

i have just agreed a loan contract for my dressage mare (she's working adv med level atm) because i don't have time for her anymore.
I don't really see the risk as i have spent a lot of time finding the right person for her, she is going to a nice rider who will, i hope will continue to take her up the levels.
Yes she is worth a lot of money, but for me at least, as long as she's happy until i have time for her again then i'm happy and this is more my priority than what she's worth when she comes back (as she will NEVER be for sale anyway it's kind of irrelevant!!!) - i'm not bothered that they add value onto her although would be slightly miffed if she came back worth less but as i said having thought carefully about who she's going to i'm sure this won't happen

So Becki, yes there are people who will loan out talented dressage horses - you just need to be lucky and in the right place at the right time as i belive they are quite rare to find!!!

M

madabout2

Have you considered an ad in H&H. What about taking a horse whilst someone is at uni!

This does happen and I am proof.

I have a dressage horse 15hh on loan from an ad in H&H. Prev he had done unaffiliated dressage and hunted(!!). This year we have competed 5 times, 4 at prelim and 1 at novice, been placed 3 times at prelim (incl 7th at areas) and won our first point at novice.

I know of Adv med horses that have been loaned and leased.

Seriously they do exist .