Dressage horse - front shoes only

Shoei

Visit site
I have had my horses back shoes taken off in preparation for my new horse coming.

His feet are good and strong but he gets footsy without fronts on with stones. We only work in arenas and are training elementary/mediumbat home.

The question is... does he need back shoes on? I know plenty who compete barefoot nowadays but not many fronts only!

Thanks

eggs

Visit site
One of mine has fronts only and works PSG and another is barefoot having had fronts only for many years and works Inter 2. We took his fronts off earlier this year as he kept on pulling a shoe but haven’t needed to put them back on.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Both mine are running on fronts only ATM. Best of both worlds, fewer strike injuries but fully able to hack-exercise.

One too old and one too young to compete as yet, but it would be the same.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I've done all 4, fronts only, and now unshod (will stay that way) with my dressage horse. Really haven't noticed much difference with him. I think his body feels best without shoes.

I know many that are only shod in front. It's quite common in group turnout situations. It always depends on the horse, but it's quite likely that he'll be fine.

Annagain

Visit site
Charlie's only shod in front. He has good strong hooves and seems very happy with the arrangement. Studs would be the only reason we'd need back shoes and we're a long way off competing yet so we'll save some money and time for now. I have considered taking them off completely but he can occasionally be a tiny bit tender behind for a day or two after a trim so we're erring on the side of caution with the fronts. Archie spent a good while with only fronts too. He then seemed to be a bit uncomfortable so we put the backs back on but it didn't help and he was retired.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My farrier said he has a number of horses with back shoes only too. Never heard this before.

A friend did this for awhile. Her horse had some sort of soft tissue injury (can't remember what exactly...suspensory maybe) and the vet recommended aluminum bar shoes, then she transitioned to regular steel shoes, and now she's unshod again. We're not sure that she ever needed the shoes for "support" or the injury in the first place ?‍♀️ at the time (years ago) she didn't know so much about it and went off of what the vet recommended. It worked I guess? No ill effects on the horse, really.

Britestar

Visit site
My farrier said he has a number of horses with back shoes only too. Never heard this before.

I did this when my old girl came back into work a few years ago. She needed shoes on because we did a lot of road work, but she kept pulling the front ones off, so shod behind and booted in front for hacking. Was only for about 6 months, then she re - retired.