Dressage - how do you start?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I would love to do some dressage next year but I really don't know where to start. I have looked at the BD website but it all looks a bit complicated. Does anyone have any advice for someone like me who has no great ambition but would just like to have a "little go" at it?

CastleMouse

Visit site
You should start at prelim level, are there any unaffiliated dressage shows near you? That would be a good place to have a go
smile.gif

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thank you. I have tried that link but the page doesn't download properly. I don't know much about riding clubs but I would like to join one if I knew where it was! I will try the BHS site again later tonight and see if the page will dowload correctly.

Stella

Visit site
I'm in a similar position. I think from what you say that I may know more about dressage than you, but I have yet to go out and do my first competition of any kind and I know I'll be nervous when the time comes. I live in dread of my mare spooking at the portaloo or something and dumping me on my bottom before I get anywhere near the ring (although, that said, being dumped in the ring isn't really a better option!). I'm also looking into riding clubs.

So you're not alone and with a bit of luck, this time next year we'll feel like old hands
laugh.gif

not_with_it

Visit site
See if you can get hold of a few tests and have a look to see whats involved. Go along and have a look at a few to see how things are done. Do you have someone who knows a bit more that can go along with you? That would be a great advantage.

Most important of all go out and enjoy it.

sunsation

Visit site
When I first joined my dressage club, I went to their monthly events and pencilled for the judges for a few tests. It was a great way to learn how things were done, proper etiquette, turnout etc...

I'd recommend that if that's possible over there in the UK. If not, go to a few events and watch to learn the ropes!

JustKickOn

Visit site
preliminary tests to begin with i'd say. go and watch some comps near by to get used to the sort of stuff that happenes there. practise at home and the have a go at the tests and at shows
grin.gif

godd luck.