Dressage in a jump saddle?? & new pony update

daveismycat

Visit site
Firstly, I need to hear from you super duper riders who can cope with doing dressage in a jump saddle. I am spoilt with my older horse, despite not being very good at either, she has a jump and a dressage saddle. I love the position the dressage saddle helps put me into, but I simply don't feel brave/safe enough to hack out in it. I am in the process of getting a saddle for my new horse. Initially I've decided to get a saddle I can do flatwork, hacking and jumping in, and if she shows any talent for dressage invest in a dressage saddle at a later date. I tried some Barnsby saddles today and have narrowed it down to a Schockemohle Jump or a VSS GP, both of which fit her a treat and are very comfy but I can't decide which to go for.

My heart says go for the Schockemohle but my head is telling me the VSS GP is probably more of a practical choice for someone who probably wont ever do more than very low level BE/BS. Hmmmm...

Secondly, the bright orange pony is settling in well, although at times I wonder if I was mis-sold a donkey?!

155506_10151316701015864_403269809_n.jpg

We have been on some mini-excursions around the estate. I will be glad when they start exterminating the pheasants in at the weekend!!

311233_10151300631760864_1885531684_n.jpg

Our flatwork is coming along slowly but surely. We can now trot in stretchy mode, although I did see her star on her face from between her ears the other day. :rolleyes:

60660_10151294340950864_1540354404_n.jpg

She loves polework and we might've accidently done our first very baby jumps at the weekend. ;) :D

306673_10151311467140864_1955637456_n.jpg

http://youtu.be/DHO4RF3f3_k
(We were meant to be trotting in and her baby canter made me giggle, ooops!)

All I can say is what she lacks in co-ordination she makes up for in enthusiasm.

A baby riding club flatwork clinic with Les Smith next week and a walk and trot test planned for the week after, all dependant on our reaction to going back in the trailer..!

Lolo

Visit site
She's so cute!

Al has a jumping saddle for both Bea and Reg, and no dressage saddle. She rides at about SJ length, and seems to do well out of it- usually 7s or the occasional 8 for her riding. With riding Bea, it's added security as well... :D ;)

The goal is to eventually get a dressage saddle for each of them, but it's not exactly a rush to get it!

Quadro

Visit site
I would go for a gp. My dr trainer thinks that my dr was being hindered by my jump saddle so was made to get a dr one! I used to have a horse that i would jump up to 1m40 in a gp with no ill effects so would go for that.
Q

charlimouse

Visit site
Personally I would go for a jump saddle over a GP any day. I find GP's are no good for anything. Also if you are willing to invest in a dressage saddle at a later date (if she shows aptitude) what is the point in having a dressage saddle and a GP? Far better to have a dressage and a jumping! I have no more issues dressaging in a jump saddle than I do a GP (infact I think I prefere a jump saddle!).

New girl looks lovely!

Kokopelli

Visit site
Always dressage in jump as our dressage saddle no longer fits. I used to ride in the gp but after some advice on here I found I looked better in jump.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'd also say go with the jump, especially if you love it. A VSS is going to be jumping oriented so won't help your dressage position but will likely not be forward cut enough to help your leg xc.

KatB

Visit site
Definitely a jump saddle. Madam has only ever had a single flap jump saddle which I do everything in. I have just purchased a Dr. Saddle cheaply as it will be helpuful, but is definitely not a necessity!

Javabb94

Visit site
I use a jump saddle on both of mine for everything - firstly I wouldn't fit on a GP saddle with my legs and secondly I ride short anyway and find flatwork easier at a shorter length weirdly!?! :)

I would say go for the jump - my monoflap jump saddle puts me in a better position for dressage than any GP has!

daveismycat

Visit site
Thanks for that.

The majority have helped me justify going with my heart. Quadro, I think you are bonkers jumping 1m40, but nonetheless, your position over a jump is so good I don't think you need the help that I do! ;) :)

Will give the saddler a call later and give her the thumbs up to order me a Schockemohle. :D :D

And thanks Measles, yes, love her she's such a sweetie.

rowy

Visit site
I can't stand doing dressage in a jump saddle. All 3 of my horses only have a dressage saddle although I do only mainly dressage.
I did jump the other day in my dressage saddle on my youngster. It only has small knee rolls so I got away with it. A cheap jump saddle is on my wanted list for him though.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Jump saddle!

I did Eden Valley BE this year in my jump saddle - I dropped my stirrups down a couple of holes and there was no mention of it causing any problems.

ETA - I don't think GP's do anything for jumping position. I know some people jump in them, but you cannot get your stirrups short enough and shorter stirrups mean better lower leg security. And I have seen so many riders using a GP saddle and it constantly hits them up the bum while they ride.

I also plan to get a jump saddle for the ginger one when he is backed :)

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
The other qualifier is that at lower levels anyway, most horses/riders can get away reasonably with a less expensive, synthetic dressage saddle. While there are decent synthetic jumping saddles they are fewer and further between so more difficult to find a good fit. And since a good jumping saddle is a big part of staying safe, especially on a young horse, I feel there is much less leeway.