dressage in a sauna...Witham CS BD report:

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
super duper pleased with the boy :)

perversely, despite the heat, he was the MOST forward he's been this year :scratcheshead:

really really really tried to keep him pinging along in to the contact in the warm up stretchy work and then decided to re-try doing some canter work first and THEN the trot, and for whatever reason, today, it worked! he was straight there, up to my hand and in front of my leg 100% with no reminding, YES!!!!!!!!!

(i do think he's is better in the slightly thicker bridoon too, well its a snaffle really, but the rings arent too large so doesnt look out of place).

I was the only one who put my jacket on! but despite the heat, he stayed really forward in AM85, perhaps not 100% over the back as he is at home, but oh so nearly there........lateral and medium felt SO much easier, better and more engaged so came out really happy.

scored 64.11% and was 3rd out of 4, but pleased with that, strong class (one horse has competed to inter1 and one is much much older than him).

didnt do too much before AM98 as felt he didnt need it and it was so so hot and sticky by this point, but once again when i DID pick him up-he was there and ready to go. Felt this test was a bit more over the back, 63.15% for 4th out 5, in another strong class.

felt perhaps judge a bit mean as the trot was SO much improved and the canter as fluid as ever, expected 65/66 which i suppose isnt that much of a diff, just a few 6's i thought would be 7's etc but he's nicely consistant around 63/64 now, and if we can consistantly get *that* trot, with a bit more confidence, i hope the marks will go up another notch (i did feel placings were correct btw).

soooooooooo....we've got all our none Q regional points, and now need 5 Q points from the only 2 shows we have left, so we need to up our game and get a minimum of a 64 and a 65, i really hope we can pull it out the bag, despite it being a tall order, as he's come on so much in the last few weeks, it would be the icing on the cake :)

chicken and chorizo paella and mango juice for all.

wv5.jpg

wv6.jpg

wv9.jpg

wv10.jpg

wv11.jpg

wv4.jpg

onwards to Arena UK next wed!

Tempi

Visit site
He looks great and it sounds like hes coming together out competing again and getting his confidence back.

Are you giving him the ulcer stuff still? Just wondered if you think its making any difference as you say hes more forward now? x

Tr0uble

Visit site
Did you ever look into the EPSM possibility? Just thinking, this must be pretty much the first 'properly' warm show this year (just abbout?) and he was more forward....Snip was always more forward in the hot sun...? Just a thought!

Pics look fab BTW!

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
thats an interesting point trouble......how do you think is best way to test this? its going to be warm until wed, but wasnt planning on doing anything today, and then only a light canter sesh tomorrow...........................i do always rug up well when he's travelling, but could add another layer and use my exercise sheet if/when it goes chilly again?

worth trying just adding a load of oil to diet?

JGC

Visit site
Glad the meds seem to be working and fingers crossed that you'll get the qualifying scores next time out. He looks very happy in the pictures in any case :)

Nats_uk

Visit site
He looks the most happiest and relaxed I have seen him in a long time. Am really pleased that the meds appear to be working - he is such a stunning boy and you have done really well with him (and probably stuck with him when others wouldn't)

Lolo

Visit site
He looks so well and really relaxed- love the canter photos :) Glad it's coming together for you now :D

Tr0uble

Visit site
Yeah I'd add in a butt load of oil (technical terminology) it will either do something or nothing...certainly won't do any harm and will also make him even shinier!

I started at 100ml per day and gradually increased. You can feed up to 300 ml of liquid oil per day without neding to add extra vit E, and 300ml should help after a couple of weeks if it's going to.

It might be so mild that it's only because he's such a sensitive soul that it affects him, and also why it's so sporadic? At his worst, Snip was on 800ml of liquid oil, plus Alfa oil, plus Equijewel per day! (it's just unfortunate that there were so many other things going on with him as well as the muscular stuff - vet thinks brain tumour after all)

It's been so much colder, than normal, this spring, that it might be just giving him a tickle in his muscles that makes him drop behind your leg when you add in the stress of a comp?

Dunno. I am prone to over thinking things after owning Snip, but CS has so much talent it would be a shame to not try something so cheap/easy just in case it's a magic key!

Worried1

Visit site
Great result! :) As for wearing a jacket... I salute you! I was melting in shorts and a strapless top this weekend!!!!

One other thing I thought of the other day, what is he on hay or haylage wise?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
Haylage, but its a mix of very good quality local dry haylage (more like dust extracted bagged hay, its not even damp to touch) and marksway alfalfa haylage.

thanks everyone, he was such a happy chappy, was a really lovely day :)

Booboos

Visit site
Well done! Great results and brilliant on the non-Q points! Hope you get the rest of the points you need, it's been a really short qualifying period with all the snow and rain!

Firewell

Visit site
Well done! It seems to be all coming together now, I'm really pleased for you. You both look so beautiful and elegant together :).

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
thanks guys :)

yes use an old spray bottle with 50/50 water and baby oil spritzed on coat :)

worried you are totally right, normal haylage is bad for ulcers but this honestly isnt as rich/smelly/acidic by a long shot and the alfalfa stuff is good for ulcers :)