Dressage in the elements

Sparklet

Visit site
Having spotted a post on another thread about a poor horsey having to do dressage in driving rain/hail (and doing pretty well) I thought I would ask for others experiences.

A couple of years ago I watched a professional rider doing her PSG freestyle in rain that was falling sidewards - she was completely professional and to be honest an inspiration. There was very little rain before her test and it all stopped before the next rider came in so she was seriously disadvantaged. I must admit I always think of her when the weather is ropey at home and I have to ride.

Recently I had to do a test in the driving wind which was so strong I completely lost direction just before turning up the centre line and I had to walk to sort me/horse/direction out. The arena markers were actually rattling - to be fair my horse was a star but there were many others flipping their lids.

I just thought it would be intesting to know how bad it has got for the rest of you. What is the worst weather you have ever ridden a dressage test in?

Tempi

Visit site
ive ridden a test in hail/driving rain before, it wasnt pleasent!! tbh i actually wont go out competing now if the weather is awful, id rather just loose my entry fee as i dont enjoy it and im sure my horse dosent either.

Marquire

Visit site
I rode a test last month outside in the lashing rein and driving wind. It was so bad I could hardly see where I was going. It wasn't fun riding a horse who is trying to go around the arena while trying to keep his bum into the wind at all times.
shocked.gif

How the judge could see anything is beyond me. She had her window screen wipes on full pelt the whole time and the inside of the car looked like a sauna.

Remind me why do we do it again ?????
confused.gif

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Luckily when I got caught in the hail and wind at Patchetts it was just fo rthe warm up as the test was indoors but the noise still put her off and she was so cold by the time I got in to my test her brain went and it was awful. Like PG said I am not sure I would do it again been caught out a few times in rain etc and it does ruin the fun.

star

Visit site
area festivals sep last year - it rained fairly heavily in my festival test, but the heavens really opened for the other test. my dad videoed it standing in a tent and the noise is unbelievable. i was completely drenched and after saluting held out my hand and squeezed and the water just poured out. after that the sun came out! despite all that, my lovely pony managed a 9 for his centre line and came 2nd out of about 35! and he managed 3rd and qualify for the nationals in the festival class - so many horses hated the rain, but he just got on with his job. luckily sun came out for the prize-giving, although i was still looking like a drowned rat! here are pics - 1st one not looking too wet, 2nd one drowned rat, 3rd one prize giving - still rather damp!

http://groups.msn.com/UpSaddle/welshcobsrulespiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24648

http://groups.msn.com/UpSaddle/welshcobsrulespiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24650

http://groups.msn.com/UpSaddle/welshcobsrulespiccies.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=24649

Vix1978

Visit site
Off on a tangent slightly -I've show jumped in such winds taht the jumps kept on being blown over before you could get to them! Resulted in a very quick round to try and clear the course before the next big gust of wind came!!

Alibear

Visit site
Have ridden in the rain but far the best ever was December one year I got to ride in the snow. Big soft fluffy flakes
grin.gif
It was a special day and we did OK to.
Drive home again was a tad worrying though, we went through Norwich City centre to make sure we went on clear roads and got a few looks .
grin.gif

Also Chloe was at the back of the box with the ramp open and when we went to get her for the last glass she had a couple of inch thick snow blanket on her, but she was perfectly warm and happy.

Really kicked off Christams that year.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Yes, my first afflicted was at Sheepgate in a stowstorm. The snow kept going down the back of my neck, yuk!

Then I've done a regionals at Keysoe in a downpour. The arena was flooded in places but Torrent, (yes, aptly named), was a trooper and kept sploshing on through!
One advantage to having a nasty arena that flooded at home, I suppose. No dressage diva antics from us!
blush.gif

I hasten to add the drains are now fixed in our arena, thankfully!

Then at the same venue I have had the embarrassment of having my topper blow off my head mid test.
You don't look quite so elegant somehow, having to run across the arena in your hairnet, dragging horse behind you and then having to sramble up from the ground!
blush.gif