Dressage jacket advice please

emfen1305

Visit site
I am wanting to venture out to a few more venues for UA dressage this year and want to upgrade my show stuff to at least look the part (all the gear, no idea!)

I currently wear my navy show hat, brown tweed, beige jods, black jod boots and black gaiters but I have lost quite a bit of weight (more still to go!) and now my jacket is far too big. I love it but it is just a bog standard shires one and looking at price of alterations for it to be taken in, shortened and have the shoulders moved I may as well just buy a new one!

I have a black cob who wears brown tack, his brown fly veil and a white dressage numnah. I don't really like my show hat so was planning on switching to my skull with a plain black cover so wondering how best to complement him without spending a bomb. My current thoughts are:
  • Navy show jacket - will this look silly with all the black? I could keep the navy hat if necessary
  • Black show jacket - I have never found a black show jacket I like
  • Another tweed - they are more expensive than show jackets and my plan is to lose more weight and they don't look good when they are too big!
Or a total wildcard - I have seen a Horseware Forest Green jacket that I am absolutely in love with. I know navy or black is the done thing but green is our colour, everything I own is various shades of green so I would love it.

Please help! Please post pictures of inspiration too!

tatty_v

Visit site
Green sounds amazing! I am too self conscious for white breeches (they always seem to be see through!) so go for navy tweed and beige breeches. I love navy though!

Attachments

• EA481370-9EC9-40FA-B329-04A7E2D0F7CF.jpeg
    EA481370-9EC9-40FA-B329-04A7E2D0F7CF.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 4

emfen1305

Visit site
Have arranged an impromptu trip to Hope Valley tomorrow to try the green!!

Thanks both, I do like the tweed look but they are more expensive and I have to get them adjusted to fit my short arms!

tatty_v

Visit site
Ooh I do love a hope valley shopping trip! Hope you find something ? I got my tweed for £20 on preloved, always with a look!

emfen1305

Visit site
I am even closer since I moved yards, very tempting when it is only half an hour down the road! I will definitely update if it is a goer! I also asked my instructor and she said she likes the idea of the green and she likes grey jackets for dressage so I am guessing so - I think they just need to be plain (and probably not too bright!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I am even closer since I moved yards, very tempting when it is only half an hour down the road! I will definitely update if it is a goer! I also asked my instructor and she said she likes the idea of the green and she likes grey jackets for dressage so I am guessing so - I think they just need to be plain (and probably not too bright!)

Ooh I might have to get a grey one then

emfen1305

Visit site
OK so I trundled off to Hope Valley and after caressing all of the Pikeur and Ariat wares, I went to hunt down THE jacket. Disappointingly they only had black, burgundy and navy so I tried on the black to check size and decided to order online. Went to have a look over by the numnahs and matchy sets and had a mooch around the clearance section and there it was! One left in the sale for £29.99 so I was very pleased. It's one size smaller than I would have liked but it fits and it won't have its debut until 22nd Feb so have 3 weeks to keep cracking on with my diet! Did what any self respecting almost 30 year old would do and came straight home to try it all on :p I will make sure I post photos of it on its debut!

oldie48

Visit site
It clearly had your name on it! Don't you just love a bargain? My late mother lived for the sales and used to come home by taxi laden with bags and boxes. She never told my father what she had spent, only what she had saved. I hope you spent what you saved on something nice!