dressage legal bit for horse unhappy in his mouth

luie123

Visit site
I can any one advise a bit for me, which I can use for dressage. My horse isn't strong but has tends to throw his head around. I went on holiday and my instructer had been schooling him in dutch gag, he now goes well in his, but is awful in snaffle.

Today I tried him in hanging cheek, and he was very unhappy, head straight in front and snatching.

Any advise greatly apreciated! xx

conniegirl

Visit site
could he be unhappy in a single jointed mouthpeice? My connemara starts chucking his head around in a single jointed snaffle, he is however very very happy in a french link snaffle.

luie123

Visit site
The bit at the moment is a happy mouth peanut, becuase the dentist said single jointed wouldnt suit his mouth. I just dont know what to try! I am also worried about him being changed into such a stong bit, I now I dont even seem to be able to walk round nicely in a snaffle!!

conniegirl

Visit site
I would try the french link, lots of people have had very good results with it, and its not a harsh bit at all. Anyway a bit is only as harsh as the hands it is in.

Nari

Visit site
If the french link doesn't work you could try a mullen. Jim doesn't like a single joint, finds a french link to "busy" to truly accept but is very happy in his mullen. The only problem I have is that he occassionally becomes a little too settled & will start to lean a bit but a couple of days in another bit soon solves that slight problem.

Allykat

Visit site
Its worth considering the thickness of any mouthpiece that you use. Some say a thicker mouthpiece is milder than a thiner one, but this will depend on the shape of the mouth. My TB has a small mouth with a fairly fleshy tongue. A thick mouthpiece just squashed his tongue against his teeth causing discomfort. He goes much better in a thinner one. There are plenty of variations out there, loose rings, fixed rings, french links, lozenge links, mullen mouth. Also might be worth trying a different metal? I'm sure its legal if the entire bit is of the same metal.

Good luck