Dressage mare meets 'wolves' this morning

wkiwi

Visit site
Rider - they aren't wolves, they're hounds
Mare - if they look like wolves and act like wolves then they must be wolves. I think we should go home now.
Rider - no, we're only just starting. Trust me, its perfectly safe. Anyway they're in a paddock and can't get to you.

Hounds - 'whoo-hooo-hooo' . Looky that way, there's a horse in the lane. Let's all canter over baying and say hello! hooo-hooo.

Mare - I TOLD you they were wolves!!!!
Rider - its ok. Be brave. They can't get to you and they are not really wolves.
Mare - yes they are.
Rider - how about I let you trot.
Mare - did you say piaffe? Let's get out of here!!
Rider - piaffe won't get you out of here, and your'e too fat and unfit to piaffe. Shift your butt and trot. (Rider's note - mare used to do advanced dressage so piaffe/passage steps not uncommon).
Mare - like this? (fantastic elevated collected trot, only spoiled by mare looking over hedge at hounds, and by eyes sticking out on stalks).
Rider - that'll do fine!

Mare's note to self - I'm gonna keep a good eye out for them. I still think they were wolves....

Riders note to self - I now know how to get a fantastic collected trot in the dressage arena. I just need to hire the local hunt pack!

kassieg

Visit site
Haha I totally know how this feels!!! As another note I encountered the same behaviour the first time she saw sheep !!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We babysat my YO's 17yo dressage gelding cubbing the other week... between the levades he got some fantastic elevation in his trot going! - Frank and I went on our own yesterday ;).

crabbymare

Visit site
love it :) poor horse was only trying to save you from the "wolves"
Haha I totally know how this feels!!! As another note I encountered the same behaviour the first time she saw sheep !!
you do realise they are not actually sheep and are really horse eating aliens in disguise?

wkiwi

Visit site
Haha. Well written :-D
Mare will be sleeping with one eye open tonight
Yes! Especially as her stable is only about a kilometre from the hunt kennels and sometimes it sounds like they are next door anyway.
She doesn't mind dogs at all, but don't think she had ever associated the hound noise with anything before.

ester - she is 18 herself and sometimes acts like a victorian lady being asked to do something shocking (I'm currently trying to get her to gallop, which i doubt she has ever been allowed to do in her life before) - If i took her to a hunt for real, I think she would faint! LOL