Dressage- not being given sheets until after second test?

shadowboy

Visit site
Is this normal? I did 2 prelim tests under the same judge and was not allowed to see my first until I'd ridden second test. Therefore I didn't know what I should be improving. I've never encountered this before- but perhaps it's normal? There was an hour and a half between the classes and the sheets were done as some had collected theirs who weren't competing any more.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
The reason behind it is that if you are doing both prelims but say some competitors are only the second prelim and the first novice then you would have an advantage by knowing what the judge in question looks for. Thus if you've finished riding under that judge then you can get your sheets, if not then they are withheld to level the playing field.

JLav

Visit site
This is correct if the same judge is judging both tests. Its to prevent a rider that's doing both tests from having a possible advantage over another rider who is only doing the second test.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
I have to say that I would not look any test sheet between two tests, even if the opportunity arose. I go to ride my test to the best of my ability, bearing in mind the training I have worked on and the areas I know that are weak. I wouldn't go into a test and ride it any differently because of the judge I was riding in front of. The only exception to this may be that some judges may make me pay a little closer attention to the details of hitting markers / circles / accuracy in general.

For me, reading one test sheet before I went into a second test would only act as a distraction rather than any help.