Dressage people, do you hack in your dressage saddle?

rubyrumba

Visit site
My 3 yr old is being backed at the moment and I plan on doing dressage with her so will be buying her a dressage saddle. Do you all hack out in your dressage saddle or do you have a GP too? Just debating really, thanks.

snopuma

Visit site
I hack in my dressage saddle too!

never felt safer, my jumping saddle seems to indicate faster work!

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I have hacked in my dressage saddle but not for long hacks! I have never bought a dressage saddle for a young horse either, just found that they are not physically strong enough through the back to take one properly. Just my personal opinion, no jumping on me please! :)

unbalanced

Visit site
I have, erm, three saddles, in case you know, she grows two extra backs or something. Dressage, jumping and western (used to compete western when I was at uni in the states).
I hack in whichever one I pick up first really and I'm happy to gallop in all three and pop small jumps (less than about 2'9) in either English saddle (not the western for fear of bursting my gut).

Hattikins

Visit site
I often hack in my dressage saddle, it's more comfortable than my close contact jump saddle, also hacked and galloped (and grid worked once -never again!) most of the winter in my dressage saddle whilst sir was losing enough fat from his shoulder to fit into his jump saddle after his winter holiday at the end of the eventing season. :)

PrettyPiaffe

Visit site
Yes! We have one horse who is a bit of an arse to hack out and his dressage saddle really helps with its big knee rolls to keep you secure when he is dicking around.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I have hacked in my dressage saddle but not for long hacks! I have never bought a dressage saddle for a young horse either, just found that they are not physically strong enough through the back to take one properly. Just my personal opinion, no jumping on me please! :)

I have not heard of this before? Anyone else have an opinion please? I am open to new ideas! :) Thanks

idx

Visit site
I have not heard of this before? Anyone else have an opinion please? I am open to new ideas! :) Thanks

I agree - For a newly backed horse I think I would prefer to rider a bit shorter (to be lighter on their backs in canter and in case they spin round/spook on a hack) and therefore would prefer to start in a GP until I knew them a bit betterv:). Each to their own though!

rubysmum

Visit site
i hack to dressage comps - so yes - but tend to use treeless for fun hacks cos its v comfy & in my mad mind - gives big Rubes the message that the dressage saddle is just used for schooling & "proper" work

Lotty

Visit site
I hack out in my dressage saddle, intact I ride in it for everything apart from jumping. Also if it's really bad wet weather I use my old GP one :)

unbalanced

Visit site

I have a vague recollection that in the back of Down to Earth Dressage where Carl Hester talks about training his own horses he says he uses a GP on his youngsters and then gets them measured for a proper grown-up horse dressage saddle at some later stage. Obviously I just tried to look for the book for you so I could check if I was right but I can't find it. Perhaps someone else has it and they could check?

My horse is 21 so I have no opinion of my own, sorry.

pennybun

Visit site
I have a treeless Saddle Solutions dressage saddle and use it for everything-- dressage, hacking, jumping (not very high admittedly). It is just so comfortable for me and my boy its not worth trying anything different!

Charlie007

Visit site
I ride in my dressage saddle now all the time. I had to sell my jumping saddle as my back could not cope with the length on stirrups and I couldn't walk after riding in it!!