Dressage people ??? (sorry longish)

amage

Visit site
I want to pick your brains please!! Basically I have a showjumper with superb paces. she evented as a baby but at 6 was converted to pure jumping as she was very strong xc. On the flat she tends to go with her head stuck poked out and in front of your face. She will now ride on the flat properly but there is no way at all she would do a test in any type of a snaffle. i think part of this comes from her previous owner who had her for three years only ever flatted her in a double bridle. she loves the double and goes lovely in it but i don't like riding her in it all the time. anywho after that long winded bit of an intro down to my actual question: since i got her i have wanted to try competitive dressage on her. am i nuts to try going straight in at elementary so that she can compete in the double bridle? what are the most difficult movements involved? we wouldn't be competing til feb so time is on my side. as a rule we tend to teach all the sjers movements such as canter pirouettes, travers, extensions and collections in all pacesand she works beautifully at any of these we ask of her. just curious really as to whether or not its doable??

Taboo1968

Visit site
The only way you will know is by doing it..... but steer clear of elementary 52!!! Elementary 44 is a lovely test to start with.... I've just done it as I bought a very advanced horse who goes like a giraffe in a snaffle, so thats novice level out for us!!! So we jumped in at elementary and did quite well.... obviously still room for imporvement as its a new partnership.... but I'd say go for it.... you at least get a starting block to move on from and work on!

burtie

Visit site
I would say for an ex showjumper, the collected and medium trot at elementary might be a bit tough and possibly the simple changes and counter canter? It does depend on how they were trained but my mare will flying change at any change of bend and has never really done meduim trot work. She was ace at lateral stuff though!!

amage

Visit site
Thank you thats very encouraging! I've kept saying i'll give it a go but was always too busy jumping but as i'm selling in spring i'm determined to do it now!

Taboo1968

Visit site
I had no choice with my lad really.... especially given the fact that a snaffle seems to be a no no.... so as he's ridden in a double, go in at that level and see what happens!!! And we came 2nd in both tests, so must be doing something right.... Watch for the more complicated elem tests though, as burtie said, the ones with counter canter etc etc..... We want a full report when you finally do it though!

amage

Visit site
My mare is still jumping. as a rule we teach them all to do simple changes and counter canter for balance and so that they don't anticipate things and then get it wrong. thanks for that will definitely work on the medium/collected trot!

amage

Visit site
Don't worry i'll prob be badgering you with another load of questions before we do it! will hopefully get some training before hand...one thing which will be interesting is to see does she light up in the dressage arena as much as she does jumping! she tends to need an awful lot of warming up before sjing comps so could be interesting!

Sal_E

Visit site
Er - IMO it is doable, but would possibly be a hell of a shock to the system if you are not used to dressage (I don't know if you've competed at dressage before?). Some places run unaffiliated shows right up the levels, often 'have a go' days, to encourage people to take a step up - maybe look out for one of those as your first go.

The obvious starting point has to be to buy the set of tests, read through them & see what you think. And if you're not used to dressage (apologies if you are!), you may also benefit from buying the diagrams & also going out on foot to watch a couple of competitions...

ihatework

Visit site
It's possible but would probably be a good idea to do a test run or two infront of a BD trainer/judge to get their opinion, or do a test HC or an unaff elementary.
From my experience the things that horses schooled for SJ find difficult in the pure dressage is the canter work, not because they can't canter, just because they aren't so used to counter canter and also are sometimes 4 time instead of 3 time.