Dressage Rider Training

Sprat

Visit site
Following with interest...

I'm sure I saw another poster (perhaps Oldie?) say that she bust her knee doing this programme though, so I'm quietly cautious!

oldie48

Visit site
Hi, yes it was me! I also posted and got some positive comments before I committed to the programme. I've just restarted it, not actually done anything but have access to it again. I am going to be very careful. I used to do loads of different classes and have also worked with a private trainer(which was really excellent!) and thought I knew how to protect myself but clearly didn't! I did discuss some of the exercises with the physio who helped me with my dislocated knee cap and he was a bit concerned that they could be quite aggressive for an older or unfit person. It is also a bit misleading as I was attracted to the 3x20 minute weekly programme but actually there's more to do it eg walk 10k steps daily, ride for 10 minutes without stirrups etc. I may have missed this but I don't think there's much advice on doing a warm up. As I have paid up and there's no refund once you have, I'm intending to pick my way carefully through it as I def need to get fitter. I do a weekly equipilates class, walk my dog for an hour a day and also ride so despite being old I'm not actually decrepit yet!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
So do you think they offer something specific that really can do all the things they claim - improved balance, independent seat etc - basically a better rider?

oldie48

Visit site
Well I've only had access to the programme for a short time but yes, I think if someone did all the exercises, they would be much stronger in the core and generally much fitter whether that translates into a better rider relies on your ability to use your core etc when you are riding. When I was really fit I could "plank" for England but I don't think I used my core in riding because no-one had suggested it! Sounds stupid but I am being honest. TBH I'd rather go to classes with a good teacher who ensures I don't damage myself but that's more time consuming. Quite a lot of the core exercises, if done badly can really hurt your back, but a good trainer checks how you are doing them and hopefully prevents injury. My physio says he always suggests people should go to a 1-1 trainer initially to avoid injury as he sees so many clients who have injured themselves in classes, doing it online, you have no-one to correct you.

Squeak

Visit site
I've done something similar called Ridercise:

https://www.ridercise.co.uk/

I did a few courses and really liked it, definitely felt that it improved my fitness, balance and riding. My lower leg was more stable and I sat some pretty impressive rodeos that even I wasn't sure how I'd managed it!!

I haven't done one for a year or so but I think it was 10 - 20 mins five times a week and that was it.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I think it was nearly £200

Ouch! I had not got that far. I've downloaded the free guide and I'll see if I can get into a routine of core work and stretching myself before I pay out for a programme I may end up not using.

I did the RWYM online programme and got nothing much out of it. I did actually do that one. But it did not seem to make any difference. I think eyes on the ground are needed really.

oldie48

Visit site
TBH I only joined up because MIL was getting to need more care which seriously reduced my ability to get out and about, so something I could do at home seemed a solution. She died in December so I am now free again but as I've paid up I might as well use it for the next 6 months. I have seen quite a few posts from people who have had an injury or are complaining their backs hurt so I would urge anyone joining to be very careful.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've done something similar called Ridercise:

https://www.ridercise.co.uk/

I did a few courses and really liked it, definitely felt that it improved my fitness, balance and riding. My lower leg was more stable and I sat some pretty impressive rodeos that even I wasn't sure how I'd managed it!!

I haven't done one for a year or so but I think it was 10 - 20 mins five times a week and that was it.

thanks for this. I've just joined up last night. Its a tenner a week which seems really reasonable to me!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Not impressed with the freebie download. Lots of stating the obvious plus a list of stretches with limited/no instructions as to how to do them which I think is a recipe for injury. Particularly the 'deep hip flexor stretch' in which the picture of her bears no relation to the written instructions! Ah well it's saved me £200 x

m1stify

Visit site
I am glad you are enjoying it. I am really bad at interpreting pictures unless there are clear instructions alongside. So perhaps it's just me!

It’s all in instruction videos so very easy to follow! Not diagrams. Lots of support and a great Facebook group. It’s a 12 week program you can pause and repeat if you need you have access for 6 months and also if you download the videos you can keep forever.

oldie48

Visit site
I did my first couple of sessions for DRT1, actually I did the first core session twice and ahve decided to do it at half speed. I do actually find it quite hard to watch the video and then repeat it myself and it's actually quite time consuming ie, watch the vid of the exercises takes about 20 mins, then the actual training takes the same amount of time. There's an exercise where you roll your thighs which she makes look so easy on the vid but I must look hilarious (but I am rather elderly) but it did feel good once the pain had gone! My main problem is that having dislocated my knee cap I am just a bit anxious with anything that requires me to kneel but hey ho, we'll see how it goes and I will give updates.

Sam_J

Visit site
@Ambers Echo I posted a few days ago (I think!) about the Activate Your Seat programme, which seems much more affordable. I'm going to get that after next payday, so I'll post again to say how it's going. Might be worth a look?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Thanks Sam J it does look good but despite the not very helpful download I am edging towards DRT. Need to decide by tomorrow!

oldie48

Visit site
Well I've done the core exercises twice and did the yoga mobility one this afternoon I found them quite difficult although I've done all of the exercises before when I was fitter and I just find them a bit unbalanced eg one exercise is quite easy and another is much more of a challenge. To put this in context, I am 71 now and although I've been much fitter than I am now, i am still fitter than lots of riders who are quite a bit younger. This is what worries me about the programme! I think someone who is used to doing pilates or yoga etc would probably be OK but I am quite surprised that the DRT 1 programme is actually quite taxing, but perhaps that says more about me and my age. I have to say I much prefer working with a trainer in a group or on a 1-1 basis.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and I have done the core session 1 and the homework tasks.
The free PDF was pretty poor - it actually had the wrong written description for the stretch which is why I could not follow it - but the video was quite easy to follow but did hurt my back a bit. But then everything hurts my back sadly. It seems chicken and egg - Back hurts as it is weak but I can't work it tto strengthen it because it hurts so I think I need to just keep trying. I could not follow the foam rolling though. I cannot work it out for the life of me!

I might repeat each set of exercises before moving on. How do you download? I'd rather do this slowly in my own time.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and I have done the core session 1 and the homework tasks.
The free PDF was pretty poor - it actually had the wrong written description for the stretch which is why I could not follow it - but the video was quite easy to follow but did hurt my back a bit. But then everything hurts my back sadly. It seems chicken and egg - Back hurts as it is weak but I can't work it tto strengthen it because it hurts so I think I need to just keep trying.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true! My back is utterly knackered after I broke it. I've managed to strengthen it without anything more than some DOMs. If it was hurting when I was doing something, I'd stop immediately. Pain is generally there as a warning that you are hurting something!