Dressage riders: velvet collars or not?

camilla4

Visit site
Just a musing really: my current jacket (navy with velvet collar) is likely to need replacing soon. I have always worn a beagler for dressage and, having spent much of my childhood and teens doing a lot of showing where velvet collars are de rigeur, have always felt that velvet collars generally look good with a velvet cap. However, with the change of rules re: headgear, I will probably switch to a more modern safety hat for competition. The question is, do these look better when worn with a jacket that does not have the velvet collar? I really can't decide - anyone have any views?!!

ThePony

Visit site
I prefer without tbh, I just got a new Pikeur Epsom in wool without velvet and I think it looks really smart. Often the velvet fades before the rest of the jacket so it can look old before it's time. Sometimes I wear a velvet hat and other times a charles owen ayr8 and it looks smart and classical with both.

Comes down to personal taste at the end of the day really!

I also decided against velvet as I was paying extra to order a nice jacket (only way I could get one to fit my long arms!), and all the ones I had seen 'off the shelf' had velvet collars, so I thought I would enjoy having the choice and loose the collar!

Amaranta

Visit site
I used to compete BD in a lovely Mears jacket, it had a burgundy velvet collar:eek:

Note to self: maybe I should dig it out, used to get 70% in that jacket:rolleyes:

camilla4

Visit site
I must admit, I'm beginning to come down on the side of no-velvet. I have a Charles Owen Ayr 8 too, for everyday use, and I do like it. I may switch to this for competition, in which case I think I will prefer it without the collar. Hmmm - much musing still to do, I fear!