Dressage saddle help please!

ElleJS

Visit site
I have a dressage saddle conundrum.

I have a 6yo mare in desperate need of a dressage saddle and need some advice on what second hand ones are best.
She measures at +1 which is Amerigo's medium wide. So no way I can make any of my other saddles fit her as they are all Medium-narrow.
I stupidly sold my good old reliable albion MW a year or so to get some cash (probably to pay for some ridiculous entry fee) and now I regret it!!!

So I have about £800 to spend MAX on a 2nd hand saddle. No way I can find an Amerigo for that price unless I am very lucky, they all seem to go on ebay for about 1k.
She really tips me forwards so could do with something with good blocks and a deep seat. So..
Albion Ultima is my first choice after an Amerigo as I have ridden in my trainers and like alot but was wondering about a Bates or an Ideal perhaps?? I have never ridden in them but the Bates look like it has great blocks and the bonus of changing the width whenever as I am sure when she gets 3 day fit she will become narrower.
Any advice would be extremely appreciated :)

brushingboots

Visit site
I got a Jaguar 2nd hand for £700. I was v. optimistic about trying it as my mare sounds just like yours - tipping me forward. Has a v. good seat and sits well on her and for me. Would recommend a look, honestly, best saddle i ever bought not regretted a single penny!

NR99

Visit site
Was just going to say Albion MW, suits Pig really well allows a good amount of room for her shoulder. Think you can get them on Ebay between £4-500 so worth looking as can re-sell easily if it doesn't fit :)

Posie

Visit site
I rode in a black country dressage the other day and it was fantastic, dont know if thats an option for you?

Halfstep

Visit site
You are talking about very different type of saddles. Amerigos and Jaguars have "banana" shaped panels, Albion and Ideal have wide panels. These saddles fit very, very differently from each other. If your horse suits an Amerigo, look at second hand saddles that have that banana shaped panel: Jaguar, Prestige, Equipe, some Black Country. Bates are sort of in between. Albion and Ideal are completely different.

ElleJS

Visit site
She hasn't been ridden in an Amerigo only Albions which she seems to like.... great advice all, will get ebaying and researching! Its such a minefield.

wellsat

Visit site
Don't know if the tree shape would be right for you but I love the Wintec Isabell Werth as it has adjustable gullets so is great for a horse thats going to be changing shape.

Halfstep

Visit site
I adore my ideal suzannah, fabulous saddle. But they are so fab, people don't sell them!!! (but the can be adjusted up to one width measurement by a good saddler....)

horseywelsh

Visit site
I adore my ideal suzannah, fabulous saddle. But they are so fab, people don't sell them!!! (but the can be adjusted up to one width measurement by a good saddler....)

Same here, love mine. They seem to hold their value well second hand too, sorry OP not really helpful, but if you find the right size at the right price I would act fast.

Bearskin

Visit site
Bought an Ideal Suzannah on ebay. Horse very pleased! She hated Albion, AMerigo, Prestige and others even though they fitted well. Always avoided Ideal as saw them as "cheap" but wish I had tried them sooner.

Avoid the Platinum Ultima if you can. Badly designed for horse comfort.

jaijai

Visit site
Have you looked on www.saddlesdirect.co.uk . Have recently bought a second hand saddle from them and was very impressed with them. Basically you pick up to 3 from their site -they send them to you to try for 3 days and if one is okay you pay for it and return the other 2 . They will even take your old saddle in part ex. Worth a look perhaps?

TarrSteps

Visit site
Don't know if the tree shape would be right for you but I love the Wintec Isabell Werth as it has adjustable gullets so is great for a horse thats going to be changing shape.

Honestly, don't rule this out without consideration. I know at least one person who rode up to GP in one and a surprising number of people use them. Personally, the Isabell doesn't suit me, although I have a Pro (admittedly still in a storage locker in Canada right now!) which I liked just as much as some much more expensive saddles.

Gamebird

Visit site
Try the BD website - I got a v smart pristine Jaguar XKC on there for £750ish (including matching bridle :)) a couple of years ago.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Sounds like an Albion dressage would be the right one for you- there are loads of those about second hand for about £600.