Dressage saddle owners

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Tried a few dressage saddles on Friday but I just couldn't find my balance in them.
Just wondering as I have spent the last years riding only in a jump saddle could it be this that makes the dressage saddle feel so odd and unbalanced?
How long did it take you to feel good in your saddle?
Thanks!

{97702}

Visit site
I had only ever ridden in a GP - took me a good couple of weeks to get used to my dressage saddle, then I quickly decided it was the best saddle ever :)

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
I found mine comfortable straight away even though I am a confirmed short stirrup freak! However I also regularly ride with no stirrups and bareback so maybe that's why - don't know really - maybe you haven't found one that suits. Keep at it, you will learn to love them, I know I do :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Were they very 'blocky'? I don't get along with big blocks and find my Albion SLK Platinum extremely comfortable.

VRIN

Visit site
I suspect you haven't tried one that suits you yet. My horse and I both went sooooo much better when we found one that suited us.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I tried a few before I found 'the one'. I knew it when I rode in it, super comfy and super safe. Horse went well too. Keep trying other saddles.

Rosesandhorses

Visit site
I was completely the opposite and had only ridden in dressage saddles for years and when I bought my eventer that obviously had to change! It did take me a while to adjust as it does completely change your position.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I tried the Equipe Emporio and an Amerigo (not sure about the style). Found my knee kept going over the block for the Equipe and I had to lower my leathers by a good 10 holes! I do have long legs but I really don't know/like to use them!! Horse loved it but I felt like a complete novice. Do you think it would be worth trialling one for a week to see if it clicks? I did like the Amerigo (could have done with a little bigger block I think) horse hated it as it pressed into his wither as I rode him.
Previously I had an Ideal Suzannah but I got an 18" so I found it to big.
Happy to take people's recommendations for a saddle similar to the Amerigo. I am average build (11 stone) & 5'7"/5'8" any help is greatly received :)
Thanks all

Geek

Visit site
I found going from a jumping saddle to a dressage saddle was like things had just clicked in to place, I suddenly understood how people managed to do dressage! Rather than feeling hard it instantly made it all easier. I would look at other saddles and see if you find one that you click with, if not try having one on trial and see if you get used to it. I've had an Albion in the past, which I couldn't fault and did the job however I love my devoucoux as it just puts me in a better position with better balance.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I ride in a dressage saddle all the time as mare is a Friesian with the big shoulders and movement but would like to buy a slightly more forward cut saddle so that I am more comfortable when we jump (she loves jumping)..so I guess Im going the opposite way round from OP. A friend is replacing her saddle ..GP..and is on third test saddle as so far she has been uncomfortable on previous ones and we do quite long hacks so she needs comfort..its not easy is it to find the right one.?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I know it takes time, but it's annoying when you are finally in a position to purchase a new saddle but can't find one to suit.
Will try to drop my stirrups in the jump to work on my position in the mean time :)
Thanks all

Luci07

Visit site
What type of horse do you have as well? My WB x preferred wide panels, my ISH did not. The Albions K2, SL and SLK all have different trees. Never been a great fan of the Amerigo as the tree seemed to impact my horses shoulder. Might even be worth having a M2M for you and your horse..that way you can play around with the size of the thigh rolls, length of the flaps etc. I have done that before and ended up with a perfect saddle for the horse I had at the time. It was great fun "building " my saddle up for myself with my saddler (master saddler ).. Even down to choosing which leather I wanted. Ellie Martin made mine and also built me a much loved jump saddle as well..

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you have not been used to a dressage saddle I would try an ideal Jessica , they are a great first dressage saddle they are forgiving of the rider who does not like very long stirrups.
I would consider getting one second hand then perhaps replacing it in a while.