Dressage saddle recommendation for slightly roach backed horse

Bec26

Visit site
Hi
My ISH mare is built downhill and has a very slight roach back, luckily she has decent withers but she is also narrow at the shoulders. Trying to get anything to fit that doesn't move forward is a nightmare, I have found a lightweight monoflap jump saddle that fits for hacking/jumping but would like to get a dressage saddle - has anyone got any recommendations?

Notimetoride

Visit site
My Sec D is a similar shape. She came with a Kent and Masters saddle but the panels were far too log and literally digging in her back (even without my weight on). I already had a lovely Ideal Jessica which was my previous horse's and lo and behold, it wasnt a bad fit - slight tweak from the saddler and it fits her like a glove. Is has slightly shorter panels that are sort of scooped up (if that makes any sense) so they dont dig in. Shes had that a couple of years now and it seems to be fine on her. The key is (I think) finding a saddle with shorter panels underneath. Im not a saddler though so dont quote me on this.

Bec26

Visit site
She came with a Kent and Masters GP but it just moves to much, will have a look at the Ideal. I think you are right about the shorter panels which is probably why the monoflap saddle seems to fit her well.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If you can go to a smaller seat size than she can take that will help, you need a very short "footprint", wide gullet at the roach, and possibly a very low rear panel ie short gusset. if you need every inch of space she has then it becomes more difficult, and you definitely need that low panel. Beware of going for curvy trees to have a high pommel to try and balance the saddle, it usually means the bars/rails will pinch and you'll have instability. Better a flat tree and curvy panel!

Bec26

Visit site
If you can go to a smaller seat size than she can take that will help, you need a very short "footprint", wide gullet at the roach, and possibly a very low rear panel ie short gusset. if you need every inch of space she has then it becomes more difficult, and you definitely need that low panel. Beware of going for curvy trees to have a high pommel to try and balance the saddle, it usually means the bars/rails will pinch and you'll have instability. Better a flat tree and curvy panel!

Thanks this is really helpful info :)