Dressage saddle shopping - suggestions please!

Tash88

Visit site
Afternoon all,

Will try to keep this brief as I am meant to be working... This is also in CR and I hope there aren't any rules against posting twice.

My 11 y/o WB x TB has changed shape significantly and his saddle is now too tight. He has a much bigger shoulder now and needs something to accommodate this, so I guess I'd need something that's cut away at the shoulder slightly?

He is currently in a Fairfax (old model but a lovely saddle) with a wide plate. Yesterday the saddler changed it into a wide plate (from M/W) and reflocked it, and it was better but he didn't go as well in that as he did in a saddle I borrowed from my trainer yesterday to hack out in. This is a Black Country Vinici dressage saddle (http://www.blackcountrysaddles.com/vinici-dressage/). It is XW and so is too wide for him, but we padded it out a bit. Of course this is not ideal but he was much more forward and relaxed in it, and I sat better too. I'm having a lesson in it this evening so will be interesting to see how that goes.

To be honest he has never been in such good shape before and so I think I need to have a complete re-think on what kind of dressage saddle to go for. His saddles have always been checked regularly and have fitted him, but I have never been 'in love' with them, if that makes sense. I want to try a selection and get as close to perfect for both of us as I can. The saddler yesterday said that my Fairfax fit him but he wouldn't choose it if he was starting afresh, so I think I should be looking for something different.

I am open to new or second hand, I think the criteria need to be good security for me and something that would give enough room for his shoulders to move freely. He is compact (16.1hh and takes a 6ft/6'3" rug) and has reasonably high withers.

So suggestions from dressage saddle experts welcome! Money not really an object at this stage as I will probably have to put it on a credit card and I just want it to suit my horse and I.

Thanks in advance, Tx
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...pping-suggestions-please!#UqYFeZkPfmfrcQy6.99