Dressage saddle that doesn’t hurt lady parts. Does it exist?

Fruitcake

Visit site
Does anyone else have issues with saddles hurting? :oops:
I have an Isabel Werth, which I’ve had for years and used to love. Apparently, though I tend to ride with my pelvis tilted a little and rolled back on my seatbones. When my instructor corrects me, it is absolute agony! The pommel feels like it’s digging into me and there’s quite a bit of rubbing!!

I’m not sure if it’s the twist that’s an issue or if it’s the high pommel or if I just need to grit my teeth and put up with it. I already have a nice Avacallo gel seat saver. I’m quite thin with a very narrow waist, although I have a size 6 foot so assume my pelvis shouldn’t be too narrow(?) I’m happy to consider a new saddle if that’s likely to sort it but I don’t know where to start...

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

be positive

Visit site
There are plenty of comfy saddles out there that will not cause you pain to sit correctly, you have probably learned how to avoid the discomfort by changing your position which is not going to help long term if you want to improve.
I had an IW saddle for a short time and hated it because of the reasons you are finding, it fitted my horse well but was no good for me so it went, I have since ridden in numerous other dressage saddles and never felt uncomfortable in any of them the way I did in that, it still makes me wince at the thought!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have struggled with an IW (not mine) Im ok in my own ideal jessica.
do you think it is better with the seat saver?
as a temporary measure I'd recommend some cycling chamois cream, there are girl versions. (I use paceline her)

Louby

Visit site
Feel your pain!! Ive kissed the ground :D now my young horse has filled out slightly and Ive had to change her saddle. Its bliss, the one I was using made my eyes water when I got in the shower as I think I had friction burns o_O:eek: I used to hate the saddle Im now using but no more sore bits and its heaven!! So yes there are saddles out there that dont hurt your lady parts :)

Mari

Visit site
Might be your position. When I got a saddle for my new pony it made me realise how bad my position was on my older pony - had him & his saddke a long time!

Mule

Visit site
I had this problem but in my case my pelvis was tipped forward so I was sitting more my crotch and not on my seatbones.

What I do now is I've learned to reposition my pelvis so it's tilted upwards. This naturally puts my back on my seatbones. I'm completely comfortable now☺️

My problem was particularly acute in a dressage saddle. It wasn't as bad in a gp, don't know why.

Fruitcake

Visit site
There are plenty of comfy saddles out there that will not cause you pain to sit correctly, you have probably learned how to avoid the discomfort by changing your position which is not going to help long term if you want to improve.
That’s exactly what I think has happened. Looks like I’m going to have to find another saddle then.

Might be your position. When I got a saddle for my new pony it made me realise how bad my position was on my older pony - had him & his saddke a long time!
I think it’s more like Be Positive said above: I’ve altered my position to avoid the pain. It’s when my instructor puts me in the correct position, up on my seatbones, that it hurs.

I had this problem but in my case my pelvis was tipped forward so I was sitting more my crotch and not on my seatbones.

What I do now is I've learned to reposition my pelvis so it's tilted upwards. This naturally puts my back on my seatbones. I'm completely comfortable now☺️

My problem was particularly acute in a dressage saddle. It wasn't as bad in a gp, don't know why.
I think that’s what I’ve done too but tilting my pelvis back has rolled me back on my seatbones so I’m not up on them and, although I’m comfortable like that, I’m not sitting correctly so I need to find a solution where I can sit up on my seatbones without being in agony.

I think it’s probably worse in a dressage saddle as the deep seat means the pommel slopes quite acutely. I really want to be able to ride in a dressage saddle though as like the deep seat and leg position.

Mule

Visit site
That’s exactly what I think has happened. Looks like I’m going to have to find another saddle then.

I think it’s more like Be Positive said above: I’ve altered my position to avoid the pain. It’s when my instructor puts me in the correct position, up on my seatbones, that it hurs.

I think that’s what I’ve done too but tilting my pelvis back has rolled me back on my seatbones so I’m not up on them and, although I’m comfortable like that, I’m not sitting correctly so I need to find a solution where I can sit up on my seatbones without being in agony.

I think it’s probably worse in a dressage saddle as the deep seat means the pommel slopes quite acutely. I really want to be able to ride in a dressage saddle though as like the deep seat and leg position.
Your right, it's the bloody deep seats in dressage saddles. You can't even move around in them. Would you try a dressage saddle with a more open seat?

It's interesting we're doing the same tilting thing. I'd say it's not uncommon. I've no advise really except to keep trying saddles.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've been here and completely feel your pain. For me I always found it was when M had changed shape slightly and the saddle wasn't fitting right, usually a gel pad or riser has solved the issue. I also used chamois cream before riding to help with the chaffing.

lauracwd2

Visit site
WOW saddles have a couple of different options in the seat design to help with issues like this. Copied from their website:

The WOWâ„¢ saddle has a unique seat that is designed to make best use of the shape of our legs. Most saddles give us nothing to hold on to, giving a totally smooth line running from the skirts over the stirrup bars down to the flap. The WOWâ„¢ has a deliberate step between flap and seat creating a hollow that the leg sits into on either side of the tree. This promotes more stability and security by giving the leg something to wrap around rather than sitting on top. Sitting trot on big moving horses is easier, jumping has greater security as the leg can mould into the saddle and horse. The seat is seamless having no skirts stitched on to the softer seat leather; this means less wear of the seat and of you.
“CC” Lady’s Seat
If you need more comfort in the front of the saddle then we can provide this feature by specifying a “CC” seat.
Padded Wings
The skirts over the stirrup bars can be padded providing more support in front of the thigh lifting the riders fork off the front of the saddle. Used in conjunction with a “CC” seat greater comfort for ladies who suffer discomfort in this area.
Channel Seat
This is the ultimate for lady’s who suffer from saddle rub! We can create a channel from front to center of the seat so that there is no possible way of the seat applying pressure where it is not wanted.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I would try a Heather Moffett seat saver first, the one that sits either side of the pommel, it will lift you up relative to the twist, see if you can borrow one. If that fails then sure there are all sorts of seat shapes out there, the IW is a true Marmite saddle.

Fruitcake

Visit site
Thanks.
I already have a seat saver. Not sure if it makes any difference or not! I really like the sound of the Wow features but just can’t get away with the Flair flocking.

Does anyone have any experience of Ideal dressage saddles?

be positive

Visit site
Thanks.
I already have a seat saver. Not sure if it makes any difference or not! I really like the sound of the Wow features but just can’t get away with the Flair flocking.

Does anyone have any experience of Ideal dressage saddles?

I have had a few Ideals and so have my liveries, they are generally nice to sit in, fairly flat so suit most types , the Jessica is the saddle I recommend as a first dressage saddle because it does not have huge knee rolls and is not that deep so does not force the rider into a position which some saddles can.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a HM seat saver (well two), I find the gap is often not big enough to straddle the pommel properly and sometimes the increased friction can make things worse.

I think I mentioned I love my jessica ;)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm also a little prone to this problem in some dressage saddles - an IW, some sort of keiffer dressage saddle and one of the Heather moffet saddles are the ones I've had trouble with.

I do exactly the same as you, I incline my pelvis and body backwards but somehow manage to keep my legs and forearm/hands in the right place. So the result is a completely unsupported leg that just flails around when I try to use it and huge tension in my shoulders and upper arm as they are effectively holding everything up because you can't use your core properly in that position. I then end up riding with reins that are a but too long because I'm subconsciously aware that I have no give in my elbows for the contact.

It gets worse the longer it goes on so I would say definitely worth trying some different saddles, because it makes such a difference.

ETA: fwiw I have two ideals (just what I've ended up with), and find both perfectly comfortable to ride in.

LegOn

Visit site
I think just like some saddles dont suit some horses - the saddle doesnt suit your anatomy! (Not the first time I've heard this about IW though!)

I tried alot of dressage saddles before I got mine & like that some felt like they were intruding on me in the wrong places & others were very comfortable - so what works for one person, might not work for you! Definitely investigate new saddles & find one that suits you. When you find a saddle that fits you & your horse together, being in the correct position is much easier - even though it will take a while to get used it, in the long term it will be better!

Sophire

Visit site
I have the Ideal Jessica and I worship it. Such a comfortable saddle and I have a tendency to perch, so would experience pain in that instance if it was going to cause any.

lilupix

New User
Visit site
I have just bought an Acavello Ortho Pubis seat saver which is gel with a panel cut out of the middle front section, so you sort of sit over/on the cut out bit and hey presto nothing rubs.
My saddle is a GP (don't do dressage) but with quite a high twist and I was always having to adjust myself and it was really uncomfortable to sit deep. I bought it in desperation having tried all sorts of fixes, gel cycling knickers etc and it has made SUCH a difference. His saddle fits him perfectly, it's just rubbish for me.
(I don't work for them, just a long term lurker. Needed to pass this recommendation on though, as it caused me issues for years!)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I suspect seat savers won’t help as they will make the seat smaller .
I would try a few I fit Jessica’s , Albion’s and Fairfaxs .
Try a Jessica they are a good not too expensive saddle .

Micropony

Visit site
How recently have you had your saddle checked? Whenever I have had this sort of problem with a saddle that's been comfortable in the past, it's been because the horse has changed shape slightly causing the saddle to tip forward or back slightly, and I haven't been quick enough to spot it and get the saddler out. It might be that a slight adjustment to the flocking will solve your problem?

exracehorse

Visit site
My Albion SLK dressage saddle is awful. Very painful. And it’s not my position as my Derby House Hunter Samba is perfect. So it’s definitely the rise on the pommel