Dressage saddle

NooNoo59

Visit site
Hi all I am looking for a flat seated 17.5 inch saddle with removable knee blocks that would fit a wide cob with shoulders what are your recommendation I am in tenterden Kent thanks

be positive

Visit site
I have no idea which saddles have removable blocks other than synthetic and I never use them but would probably recommend you look at the Ideal Jessica as a relatively flat simple dressage saddle which are often advertised second hand if you are planning on buying without a saddler involved, if using a saddler get them to bring a selection so you can get a feel for what suits you as well as the horse.

Equi

Visit site
I have a kieffer and i dont find it particularly dressagy in the seat, and the blocks are removable by screws and what not, but not sure why you would need/want to remove blocks.

coss

Visit site
Kent and Masters ? Saddle company? I have a SC dressage saddle for sale- fully adjustable. I did have a collegiate on a cob type - it wasn't adjustable but seemed to fit well.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have a kieffer and i dont find it particularly dressagy in the seat, and the blocks are removable by screws and what not, but not sure why you would need/want to remove blocks.

Some people (me, for instance) don't like knee blocks.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I don't like knee blocks either, they really interrupt my aids.

K&M are good saddles and have nice wide gullets for all horses, not just wide cobs. I have used LM Saddles for about 10 years or so now and I do really like the saddles. I would look for a nice broad wide gullet with plenty of panel to distribute your weight without restricting the shoulder..... easier said than done.

be positive

Visit site
I find that if my hips are painful it helps to take the blocks off

Thats why I suggested the Jessica as it has very little in the way of blocks, one of my clients had a serious hip problem and it was the only saddle that she tried that she could ride in, we had one made with a narrow twist to make it even more comfy.

Theobroma

New User
Visit site
Hidalgo. The system is extremely flexible. It is not treeless (as many people believe) and has exchangeable panels to fit them to the length of the horse while the seat size can be fitted to you. The knee blocks have velcro an can be taken off. The saddles are very comfy and available in lots of different styles.
My daughter has a Hidalgo Venice dressage saddle and I have an Iberian model for hacking - so comfy and safe.

zola89

Visit site
I've got a GFS Monarch, real leather and their "more reasonable price range". The knee blocks are on velcro so you can move them to suit and the gullet is adjustable. Mine is in an xw at the moment but I believe they go as high as xxxw though I think you need to buy the wider saddle in the first instance. Leather is nice and is kept really well and is very comfortable, I've been using it for a few years and have the same in the GP.

NooNoo59

Visit site
Oh joy I have a new bates from David Dyer. My existing saddle which has been looked at by 3 saddlers had uneven flocking and he is also adjusting that. Highly recommended!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Glad you're sorted OP.

For anyone else looking, I think most companies will put removable blocks in as a special order. A friend recently had an Albion K2 dressage made with velcro blocks.

coss

Visit site
Oh joy I have a new bates from David Dyer. My existing saddle which has been looked at by 3 saddlers had uneven flocking and he is also adjusting that. Highly recommended!

I used him to reflock a keiffer and he found another issue with it and fixed - very good costing especially as i had to post to him (from scotland!)

NooNoo59

Visit site
Yes he is excellent. Flocking was uneven which 3 saddlers haven't noticed. Also the gullet was fitted with one screw each side not two. Will stick with him now!