Dressage Saddles, Mid price range for TB?

jm2k

Visit site
My Tb is having an upgrade from his synthetic Thorowgood T4 which has done him for a year of basic schooling, but now we are both moving up a gear we need a saddle to come with us.

He needs 17 MW with a half decent wither clearance.
He doesnt have a real sharks fin but he does suffer muscle and weight loss in winter when we are very limited riding so it gets extra padding underneath for a few months.

I need knee blocks while im working on my wonky leg! (ever bit helps huh!)

I know a lot of stirrup bars are far too forward and need to be under the thigh more to help with leg position but its very hard trying to find these more correct designed ones. Heather moffet is one of the very few but way over our £700 budget!

Currently shortlisted:
Ideal Suzannah, K+M S block, Kieffer, Prestige, Albion k2.

Sadly with no decent saddle fitter in my area we cant really try many/any before buying so this is a hard task we need to get right.

Any and all advice welcome

fawaz

Visit site
I have an Albion legend 5000 with a MW Tb tree. They are really lovely and I love the suede knee and seat. It suits my TB perfectly and hasn't needed any adjustment.

shampain

Visit site
I'd second the K&M; I used to have a GP for my TB mare which I loved, and have regularly ridden in their Dressage saddle. Can easily say it was hands down the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in, and as aforementioned, if the tree is similar to the TG & it fits well then maybe worth a try.

jm2k

Visit site
I could get a new KM 's block' for my budget which means the risk of buying a second hand saddle is removed and also thinking they may have more set back stirrup iron bars?
Are the blocks quite prominent?
Not seen any of these saddles in person to really get a hands on feel of them yet which is a nightmare with no decent saddlers around.
The fact they are made on the same tree is a bonus :)

Hadnt thought of the Albion 5000, was thinking of the K2 so will look into these more too.

Bates is another that someone suggested to me last night?

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
K&M s series dressage is a great saddle. I tried the mono flap version with a fixed exterior block and hated it (I don't like being fixed into position). Other people love this type of saddle, however.

I settled on the conventional version with removable blocks which suits me much better. Very good for the money.

Be careful which tree you are considering, K and M / Thorogood have more than one type, and I think that the s series is not the same as the others (it's flatter, which suits my cob). I have an s series compact GP for the same horse.

jm2k

Visit site
K&M s series dressage is a great saddle. I tried the mono flap version with a fixed exterior block and hated it (I don't like being fixed into position). Other people love this type of saddle, however.

I settled on the conventional version with removable blocks which suits me much better. Very good for the money.

Be careful which tree you are considering, K and M / Thorogood have more than one type, and I think that the s series is not the same as the others (it's flatter, which suits my cob). I have an s series compact GP for the same horse.

Ah! Will actually send them an email now and ask them as id presume the high wither version would have a tree more suited for TB types. Thanks for the tip and will see what they say.

Doublethyme

Visit site
I have the S series with surface blocks and love the closer contact it gives under the leg. Only recently switched from myuch loved Bates Isabel which didn't fit my youngster and I didn't think I'd find a saddle im my budget that I would like let alone love more than my isabel, but the K&M S series is fab. Added bonus of the knee rolls are excellent for security on my sharp young Hanoverian.

My mare is very flat backed low wither though.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have a Kieffer Kiel for my TB and he loved it (retired now)

The trees can be adjusted with heat though you need a saddler who has the equipment to do it, so I will probably get it adjusted for my new one. He's still changing a lot so waiting before I do it.

They don't seem to be fetching much money on the secondhand market so they're good value for money.

Under-the-radar

Visit site
Take a look at the Heather Moffet FlexEE saddles. I had a TG T4 saddle on my mare, and opted to try the FlexEE saddle when we were moving on with our flatwork as I needed more support and help from my saddle.

The FlexEE has been fantastic - I love the fact that I can feel my mare moving her back up under me, and the seat is THE MOST comfortable saddle I have ever sat on. The knee blocks are available in 2 sizes and have large velcro panels so you can move them exactly where you need them (i.e. you don't have to leave them at the front edge of the saddle if you need more support for a dodgy knee. Having skinny dodgy knees I Have my knee blocks set back from the front by about an inch to support me where I need it).

I think the leather flexEE's start at around £500 mark. They are a little outside of the normal box and many 'normal' saddle fitters will not know how to fit these - but there are EE saddle fitters around the country, or you can fit it yourself - I have fitted mine to my mare, it's not difficult (just a bit of common sense needed!!) :)

MILLGREENLADY

Visit site
i brought a lovely ideal mono flap dressage, performa. second hand at around 850 had only been used twice/ so probably some cheaper ones on the market love it to bits not amazing knee rolls (i don't really like saddles that hold you in) but so comfortable as I'm use to riding in my ideal jumping just like it but dressage.. just some feedback