dressage saddles

KatB

Visit site
Depends what you like in a dressage saddle, your horse etc etc. I have liked a few albions I have sat on, but they just don't work on my horse. I prefer closer contact dressage saddles, and would eventually look at getting an Amerigo or something similar, with a narrow twist . Alot of people with bigger moving horses like the Abions becasue they are more supportive, and help your position, although saying that I think the Albion Ultima is alot closer contact than some of their other models.
It really depends what you are looking for! Albion do make nice dressage saddles though!!
smile.gif

I had an Amerigo which was ok, I then swapped to the Albion SLK Ultima and I love it!!!

KatB

Visit site
Out of interest, what made you prefer the SLK Ultima? Notice your using an Isabell in your pics, what did you think to that?Gorgeous horse by the way!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Not fussed about the Albions myself, I dont mind them but I wouldnt go over board about them either. They're beautifully made and great quality but Im just not that keen on them and they didnt seem to do much for my horse either.

The thing with saddles is that they're as individual as the rider's... so I dont think its really possible to describe one as "the best".

Mine is a wow dressage saddle with their deepest option seat and their standard dressage blocks. I tried their large dressage blocks but found them rather too interfering (they were huge though!) I love my saddle and there is no way Id switch but thats a personal thing and I know some people cant stand the wows.

My trainer raves about the amerigo's and I rode my boy in one when i first got him but found it terribly uncomfortable and it rubbed the skin on the top of my inner thigh. That being said, I was used to riding in a wow at that point and they are shaped rather differently round that area so perhaps it was just what I was used to!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ive heard a lot of good things about the Jessica actually although never had any personal experience of them. I'd personally avoid the stubben dressage saddles like the plague since they seem to have forgotten completly to move the stirrup bar backwards from their jumping saddles (i also think they take a long, long time to bed in and actually become comfortable to ride in).

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Back in my jumping days (looong time ago mind), I had the appaloosa close contact jumping saddles and absolutly adored them - along with the pessosas before they were sold to whichever company it is who make them now. Ive often wondered how their dressage saddles compared. Is the stirrup bar further back?

Hattikins

Visit site
Cant fault my ideal jessica either
smile.gif
its a fantastic saddle, very comfy and i wouldnt swap it for anything else at the moment
wink.gif
have to say i do love ideal saddles in general though and im not a fan of my albion K2 jumping saddle - hence why im getting rid of it soonish
wink.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest, what made you prefer the SLK Ultima? Notice your using an Isabell in your pics, what did you think to that?Gorgeous horse by the way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!!!
I think the Isabell is good for the horse - especially good for those wth sensitive / changing backs - it is ok for the rider but doesn't give the best support for the leg.....i liked it until i tried an Amerigo and then couldn't go back - it was like trying a ferari and going back to a skoda!!! (reflected in price aswell)
So i got the amerigo and loved that but then swapped to an slk ultima because i thought it fitted my horse better so i did it for her but ended up loving it myself - brill sopport and gives you a really nice seat ( i tempararily had an SL between the amerigo and gtting the SLK Ultima.....I really liked that aswell but not as much as the slk!!!!

Louby

Visit site
I tried quite a few, didnt like the Albion or Jessica but loved the Derby House Kentucky and it was so much cheaper. Unfortunately it didnt love my horse and I had to have a Jaguar with a flatter seat because of the short length and shape of my horses back. I was gutted, I felt great in the Kentucky!
I think its good to try a few if possible as we are all different.

TGM

Visit site
I've used an Albion and loved it. Unfortunately the horse it belonged to has now passed away, and it is much too big for the horse I have now. So it is reluctantly looking for a new home ...

TGM

Visit site
Too big as in inches - it is 18" and used on a 16.1hh ID x TB. Too long for my rather compact 14.3hh
crazy.gif

Thanks for the advice though!

KatB

Visit site
Thanks for that! I only ask cos I tried a Bates the other week, thinking i'd love it because I adore my bates jump, but hated it!! Found it far too bulky and restrictive, too much saddle and notn enough horse! Whereas found the Albion slightly better,but still bulky. but they just don't fit my horse well at all. Thats why I said about the albion beiung better for bigger built horses, as my boy just feels swamped in them
smirk.gif

Tempi

Visit site
albions are good for the wider dressage horse but not for narrower tb types which suit more the jaguar xkc mono and close contact ones.

i ride both mine in my Albion slk ultima narrow and i love it to bits, i even jump bloss in it (obviously not at competitions tho!) its mega comfy and it sits so nicely on both of them
smile.gif

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
Was just about to say it depends on your horse.

I have a made to measure customsided Albion SLK, with longer flaps and the bijoux blocks that are on the Ultima (my hubby didn't like the texture of the hide on the Ulitma
crazy.gif
)

Anyway, I had to get MtoM as George is totally off the chart extra extra extra wide!!! Albion told my saddler it's the widest they'd made (until very recently a lady with a shire x ordered one!)

I LOVE it! it's the best thing I've ever bought!
smile.gif
I went with the view that I'd get the best saddle my saddler recommended as there'd be no trading up/part exing, so may aswell just get what I'd end up wanting if that makes sense?

I tried the Amerigo and a few others but loved the Albion to sit on. My saddler said that it has been described to look like a tractor as opposed to the Amerigo, and I could see what he meant style wise
laugh.gif

The crux of it with us was because we needed custom alterations (the saddle flaps 2 inches longer and the gusset needed altering with G being so wide etc) then Albion was the only choice.

My saddler said that Amerigo are fantastic quality, totally precision that are made on the state of the art machinery. The reason being though, that they have developed this machinery is due to the lack of craftsman available in Italy. He said this machinery it better than a craftsman UNTIL you want customisation.

Becaust it's off templates etc, the machines do not have options for intricate customisation. Albion's are still made by hand and so you get what you want
smile.gif

Hope I've made sense?

miamibear

Visit site
I have a cliff barnsby Richard Davison dressage saddle with huge knee blocks. I love it.

When the saddler came out she gave me choice of tow, both were cliff barnsbys, they obviously fit my boy best and the first one was awful second one yummy and thats the one i have.

I wouldnt go for a specific make, try as many as you can and see which one suits you and your horse best

xx

miamibear

Visit site
Not narrow really - mine does need re flocking actually.

I would say it is designed for a horse with a wither but dont see why a wide fitiing shouldnt fit a wide horse. My horse is pretty wide but has a wither and it fts him well

Im taking this meaning of narrow to the horse - do you mean to the person?

Well i wouldnt say the saddle is narrow. Im not a petite person and i feel very comfy in it but i do have an 18" because im v tall!! Its not like sitting on a razor blade!!

Im not making much sense here am it.

Shame you're not near me if you wanted to sit on one you could have a sit on Red!

Edited to say - it would probably bury you with being an 18"

KatB

Visit site
You definitely made sense! What I mean is for the rider, as alot of the dressage saddles seem to be a bit "wide" to sit on, and with my boy who isnt a chunk, means it feels like i'm riding the saddle instead of him! I've got an old Kieffer at the moment that I love, because it is a small sadlle,so feels like am riding him!! It is verging on the narrow side for him, and with my boy being young, I know he will fill out and it not fit in the future, so gathering info for then!!
crazy.gif

And thank you, wouild love to try one, but would be a bit of a treck!!
blush.gif
And 18" wouldnt swamp me at all!! And i know barnsby fit him, just need to find out if they fit his fussy mother!!
smile.gif