Dressage Schoolmaster Lessons - Midlands

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I sold my lovely horse 4 years ago now for financial reasons, had a share for a while on a lovely horse but ended up moving away from the area, then I had my little girl nine months ago.

I have therefore only riden once in the last year and I am starting to get withdrawral symptoms !!!

I have limited time as have no real childcare apart from my husband who runs his own business and works long hours. I therefore think that the best way of my getting my horsie fix is to have lessons on a (classical?) dressage schoolmaster. Its something ive always wanted to do. Ive seen Dovecote in Worcs which is over an hour away from me. I could do this but it would be about once a month maybe a bit more often.

Would it be worth the monthly trip (i think it probably would based on the website) or does anyone know of somewhere similar /comparible in the East Mids (west leicestershire).

Many thanks in advance.

Jo

Hedwards

Visit site
You could see if verity at Witham Villa could offer this on one of her dressage horses, don't know if they offer this there, but might be worth the phone call? Have to say, that yard you've found does look amazing! Tempted to have a couple of lessons on their horses myself! Good luck finding somewhere!

atlantis

Thanks hedwards. Yeah my other thought was Witham Villa which is actually really close to me. I found Dovecote after a google search or schoolmasters which led me to an old post on here!!! Looking on Witham Villas website a number if their horses would certainly be advanced enough for me. My old share horse was trained to medium but as I've only ever competed up to novice he stretched me a fair bit.

I did think Dovecote looked so nice that if im not having lessons often the extra drive Might be worth it. Itd be nice to hear from someone who as had lessons there.

Thanks for your reply.

Jx

Hedwards

Visit site
They certainly have plenty of lovely horses at WV although I don't ride there myself, I have friends that do. I think they'd make sure they cater for what you want. The dovecote place would be worth a lesson or two just for the experience.

atlantis

Yeah after just looking at the Witham Villa website again it certainly does seem like the best idea to go there. The horses look lovely and the set up looks great. Will chat with hubby and get on the phone.

The Dovecote place does clinics which would be a nice idea for some intense training!!

Laura6544

www.petportraitsbylauracooper.co.uk
My old girl isn't up to a good schooling session any more so I go to Vale View near Melton Mowbray and I can't recommend it enough. The horses are wonderful and beautifully schooled, fit and enjoy their job. They have lots of different levels and although I can only afford to go once every 2 or 3 months I have learnt a lot and actually feel privileged to ride the horse I have my lesson on, he is at a higher level at BD than any horse I could have ever dreamt to sit on. When I had my first lesson on him my instructor commented on how in the last 10 minutes I actually began to ride him as until then I had just sat there in awe of him, which was exactly what I did.
I will say that she puts me through my paces though which I actually appreciate, even though last time I got a telling off for my shoulder position, it was a fair comment because I know I wasn't up to my normal standard.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
If WV is in your neck of the woods, then you may not be too far from South Leicestershire Riding Establishment at Leire (nr Lutterworth). Its Ken Clawson's base and Paul Davies runs the yard.
Can't recomend it highly enough, the horses are a dream to ride and its very relaxed there.
Vale View is excellent too but may be a bit further from you.

Hedwards

Visit site
If WV is in your neck of the woods, then you may not be too far from South Leicestershire Riding Establishment at Leire (nr Lutterworth). Its Ken Clawson's base and Paul Davies runs the yard.
Can't recomend it highly enough, the horses are a dream to ride and its very relaxed there.
Vale View is excellent too but may be a bit further from you.

While I agree that SLRE is a fantastic yard (rode there for over 19 years), I wouldnt recommend it for dressage schoolmaster lessons - thats not really their bag - not when you compare to the likes of Dovecote the OP has found.

Although have many very happy memories from SLRE - lessons with JP sheffield, Oliver Townend, as well as Paul of course, not to mention spending my whole summer there as a kid working on the yard and riding the ponies out to the fields! Bought my first horse from Paul (chestnut in my sig) - my horse of a lifetime!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
While I agree that SLRE is a fantastic yard (rode there for over 19 years), I wouldnt recommend it for dressage schoolmaster lessons - thats not really their bag - not when you compare to the likes of Dovecote the OP has found.

Although have many very happy memories from SLRE - lessons with JP sheffield, Oliver Townend, as well as Paul of course, not to mention spending my whole summer there as a kid working on the yard and riding the ponies out to the fields! Bought my first horse from Paul (chestnut in my sig) - my horse of a lifetime!

Yes, you're absolutely right. My thinking was that they have lovely schoolmasters to ride and if the OP is looking for an enjoyable and fittening hour, then its near enough to get to but, yes, it is geared more towards eventing and SJ.

If OP's chooses WV, do be very specific about who you want to teach you and what level of riding you are looking for. Unfortunately, I don't think I was clear enough and despite asking for a horse that didn't need to be picked up and carried, I got the same horse each time until after the 3rd lesson, I left.

Vale View is always excellent and worth a bit of extra travel time.

atlantis

Hhmm some food for thought. Witham Villa really is so close i kinda feel like i should give it a shot, but vale view i know and it really would be worth the extra travel. Dovecote is probably a bit far but is soooo what im looking for!

Then theres cost. Vale View is actually cheeper, and i wouldnt have to worry about the extra travel costs cos i could take my husbands company car so the petrol is paid for. If i went to wv id ask for Verity. If i was going to vale view who would i ask for?

I really am being picky about this arent I? Id give anything just to sit on a horse right now but riding a dressage schoolmaster is something ive always wanted to do so i do want to go to the right place.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Hhmm some food for thought. Witham Villa really is so close i kinda feel like i should give it a shot, but vale view i know and it really would be worth the extra travel. Dovecote is probably a bit far but is soooo what im looking for!

Then theres cost. Vale View is actually cheeper, and i wouldnt have to worry about the extra travel costs cos i could take my husbands company car so the petrol is paid for. If i went to wv id ask for Verity. If i was going to vale view who would i ask for?

I really am being picky about this arent I? Id give anything just to sit on a horse right now but riding a dressage schoolmaster is something ive always wanted to do so i do want to go to the right place.

Ok, give Vale View a go. Speak to Julie and tell her what you're looking for and either have a first lesson with her or book with Ian Woodhead, who's fab.

atlantis

Right. I will!!! Thanks so much for all you advice people. Vale View it is. Just need to wait to get some money (still on the non paid bit of maternaty leave,mso cant do this until feb!!! Gggrrrrr!! But at least I have a plan.

Jx

Hedwards

Visit site
Yep - hadnt really thoughat about Vale View as i just think of Caroline Moore and eventing (and being very frightened in a Caroline Moore clinic once - not of Caroline but the jumps just went up and up!!), but actually it may well be a better bet, they definitely have some fab horses.

Agree with horserider - you would have to be very specific with WV - possibly asking for lessons with Verity herself...

Let us know how you got on OP!

SpottedCat

Visit site
I can't recommend Dovecote highly enough. Sam is superb, and was my dressage trainer until he very unreasonably moved to Worcs! I used to have lessons on his horses and on my own horse - knocked my dressage penalties down by 8-10 through lessons with him (I event - went from 38-40 to 28-high 30s scores - most importantly was rarely out of the top 5 this season after the dressage, and even led it a couple of times!)

atlantis

Yeah Caroline is pretty scarey with her teaching i heard. She kept encouraging me to move up to pre-novice eith my boy when intro scared the living daylights out of me. Ive always been more of a dressage fan myself but my horse could jump like a stag so i thought i should give it a go. I never had a lesson from her she just came to the yard a fair bit.

Thanks again for the advice.

Jx