Dressage - tendon boots /bandages

Asha

Visit site
me and my fabulous ID mare are having a go at dressage. Ive noticed that others at the clinics that weve started going to are all in super smart matchy stuff.

Ive never had a horse where we actually look like we can do ( and enjoy ) this, so we have just been using what the others have been ridden in. ( veredus carbon gel tendon boots) and shock horror a non matchy saddle pad. ( ive also noticed that these divas like to have matching tops / gillets and even horse boxes !!! )
I dont intend to go as far as matching horsebox, but i do think its time i spent some money on me and my girl rather than using the hand me downs from my others. What i dont understand is why people use bandages, they do look lovely, but what do they do ??

What do you dressage divas use on your horses legs, and why ?

Thanks !

eggs

Visit site
Well I've got three horses all working at advanced/PSG and we very, very rarely bandage / boot them to work.

I don't do matchy, matchy. I'm lucky if my bridle and saddle are roughly the same colour!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
hehe don't feel like you have to go all-out matchy, it's the work you produce that matters, not what you're dressed in :wink3:

That said, I do replace tatty old things with stuff that I enjoy using because it cheers the soul... sometimes you need a little bit of extra motivation to get on and ride in the wind and rain :D so if the pretty saddle pad makes the difference... I'll go with that.

I don't bandage though, firstly can't be jiggered with it as I'm usually pressed for time and would rather have an extra 5 mins to ride, rather than dress up, secondly it's just too much organisation and washing to have matching everything cleaned and ready to go all at the same time.

So mine have white boots :) I prefer white to black because I can see them better in the mirrors esp on a grey day, they show against our grey/black surface quite well. Helps when working on sideways or changes, to see what is happening underneath me.

Kira has equilibrium stretch & flex, salty has woofwear. Just normal brushing boots. Both wear over reach boots too. Kira is close in front, Salty is generally clumsy so we never go without :)

ihatework

Visit site
I prefer to divert my money into training than fashion accessories!
I briefly got brainwashed and bought a couple of sets of polo bandages but to be honest it’s all a faff and makes no difference. I ride 95% of the time in open front tendon boots and bare behind. If I want to look like I have made an effort I dig out the white brushing boots. All horses look pretty in white boots is my motto.

Asha

Visit site
Well I've got three horses all working at advanced/PSG and we very, very rarely bandage / boot them to work.

I don't do matchy, matchy. I'm lucky if my bridle and saddle are roughly the same colour!

don't get me started on tack, no nothing matches, and I'm still in a jump saddle. That's reassuring that you don't put anything on, as Ive only put tendon boots on when I go to a clinic.

Last edited:

Embo

Visit site
I like matchy and have a number of sets. But like MP, I'm not bothered to be organised enough to match each time I ride. So I stick to the principle of smart turnout for lessons/clinics. Not dressage whites, but any clean saddle pad and for me I usually end up wearing black or navy. It's about going to learn and improve, not a fashion show. However, if you want to match, that's perfectly OK - but invest in the training first :)

On the subject of boots/bandages; I rarely boot up at all, B generally isn't one to knock himself when ridden. Plus I want him to learn where to put his legs as we progress with lateral stuff, so don't mind the odd bump! Even jumping at home I mostly don't bother (or forget!) as we don't jump big.

Edited to say: I'm also doing everything in a jump saddle at the moment! Not an issue.

Asha

Visit site
MP, IHW, fab ! so white brushing boots should do the job.

MP - Totally agree about it being about the work we do, erm .... the horse is good, but I have years of bad habits ingrained . My poor instructor is gradually picking away at them.

Auslander

Visit site
I have a fair few matchy sets, but don't really use boots or bandages for schooling, as the old boy knows where his legs are. He has ugly combined knee/brushing boots for hacking, after his faceplant on the road last year, so the fancy bandages are a bit of waste of money really. He occasionally wears bandages if I'm feeling fancy, or when my matchy obsessed livery rides him.

HKM do some cheap and cheerful sets, if you want to be a bit flash when you go out and about

Sophire

Visit site
I am the worst of the worst. Horse comes in from the field, turnout boots (closed front tendons and brushing boots behind) are adjusted, and she is ridden in them.

If legs are muddy I don't want them washed to then put boots/ bandages on wet legs. Now it is not muddy, there's equally just no point!

If we are going somewhere nice I will bandage, but I only have black.

Cowpony

Visit site
I don't use anything for flatwork. If I were you I'd save my money and put it towards a nice dressage saddle that puts you in the best position possible, although not even that is essential. I use nothing on my horse that I can't use in competition. Why would you practice using something you have to do without when you go into the arena? The only reason is to protect your horse from an injury whilst practising, but mine isn't clumsy/thin skinned/valuable enough to worry about bandaging her legs :D

I've been told over the years that I "must" have a white dressage square when competing, I can't use my black numnah blah blah. My mare is a mainly white coloured so white looks awful on her - one of them always looks dirty and it's usually her! The rules allow black and the judge doesn't care (or even notice) as long as you are within the rules. There's a lot of hype about what you should use, but what really matters is how you both perform.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I agree that dressage saddle takes priority. I notice the difference massively now when I ride (much more poorly) in a GP!

Having said that... I love matchy, and I love good turnout at a show. Dressage is my hobby and obsession, and fits in well with my ex-showing mindset of 'everything has to look perfect'. Too bad my pony is nearly white and delights in testing that...

I actually got into bandages because my boots were rubbing my delicate pony's pink skinned legs, and then quickly realised that they came in colours too and so the fun began!

I use bandages for flatwork, boots for hacking, white bandages for warming up at shows. Having said that, if it's really hot I won't bandage, if I dare pop a fence I use boots, and if the arena is wet I use boots too.

Call me paranoid but I like to know that my pony is protected, particularly when we are doing lateral work, he has been known to rip off shoes very easily in particular. I also like bandages because they are soft, don't rub, and I can cut them down to fit him. I wanted some fluffy boots to prevent rubs but couldn't get any to fit for love nor money.

In terms of matchy sets for lessons, I would invest in a couple of really decent makes plus either matching boots or bandages (bandages are cheaper, but if it's a fairly 'normal' colour like navy then its very easy to find non-brand boots). I've had my anky pads over 5 years and they are still vibrant, padded and look good as new. Then you can just whip the same lot out for clinics if you don't want multiple sets (I am guilty of too many...)

If you really feel like matching tops etc-primark or even m and s often do bargain polos etc without paying for the brand name!

Otherwise

Visit site
I have a couple of sets of bandages but for everyday I can't be bothered with them so use boots. If I'm doing a fancy clinic I'll bring out the matchy, nothing extravagant usually just navy bandages and pad so we're smart and presentable. I don't use anything when warming up at a comp but have white bandages for prize givings as they're smarter and cheaper than white boots. Saying that I have a set of vibrant green bandages that I use whenever I'm videoing to sort out music as you can really easily see legs and whether the music fits. It's too easy to collect matchy stuff that you don't really need, not helped by the limited editions and seasonal colours companies now do.

scats

Visit site
Mine wear boots for everything- flatwork and hacking.
Flatwork they have stretch and flex training wraps, sport wrap boots and LeMieux schooling boots.
Depending on what they are doing depends on what they wear.

Hacking they wear brushing boots.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I once asked if it was in the rules to have a white saddle cloth! Since Everybody seems to have one.

As for boots, etc. I would have said not necessary until I was using someone's school with a slightly gritty surface so no boots in case of rubs. The horse got too close to the arena boards, slightly touched one with his foot, leapt sideways and scrapped a good chunk of hair off his inside cannon bone. It was a graze really, but with a showing class in 2 weeks .......

wkiwi

Visit site

This ^^^^^
Although my horse working at a much lower level!!! I also completely ignore what others do in the warm up and do my own thing. Last weekend my horse (unplaited) warmed up on a long rein mostly at walk for 15 min, and then did a little bit of walk and trot with a contact, then went in and got 72% for a test (at prelim, but with a list 4 judge). She was also in a jumping saddle, and with a very loose cavesson, because this is what she prefers.
Other horses were being drilled and drilled at canter and going over and over movements from the test.
Find what works for your horse and ignore what everyone else is doing. It's too easy to get sucked in to doing what someone else is doing but ti tmight not suit your own horse.

Mine don't wear boots unless jumping (open fronts) or cross country/galloping (or if reschooling something likely to damage itself through extreme behaviours), as i don't like heating up the tendons unnecessarily (and i cool off tendons asap after). Also seen people warm up with bandages/boots and then take them off just before they go in - if you have ever worn something over your wrist or ankle then taken it off the joint feels weak, so sometimes i don't think it helps the horse to wear support wear then have it removed before competing.

However, if going matchy matchy gives you confidence to ride better then there was a great tangerine numnah advertised somewhere that would stand out fantastically on a black horse! Just avoid anything your horse finds uncomfortable.

Hallo2012

Visit site
love a good bit of matchy! and if you have the funds for lessons, vet, saddler, feet, etc AND matchy then why not :)

i have a mix of tendon/fetlock boots, bandages and fleece lined brushing boots.

i dont find they get hotter in any particular set, and as i bandages at least 1 horse daily (i ride for other people too) it takes me barely longer to bandage than to boot.

for ease and smartness i dont think you can beat an Eskadron tendon/fetlock boot set as they come in nice subtle colours to match most dark pads, dont slip and wear like iron.

harrys horse flex trainers are a good option for fleece lined brushing boots as again dont slip and wear/wash well.

Asha

Visit site
This ^^^^^
Although my horse working at a much lower level!!! I also completely ignore what others do in the warm up and do my own thing. Last weekend my horse (unplaited) warmed up on a long rein mostly at walk for 15 min, and then did a little bit of walk and trot with a contact, then went in and got 72% for a test (at prelim, but with a list 4 judge). She was also in a jumping saddle, and with a very loose cavesson, because this is what she prefers.
Other horses were being drilled and drilled at canter and going over and over movements from the test.
Find what works for your horse and ignore what everyone else is doing. It's too easy to get sucked in to doing what someone else is doing but ti tmight not suit your own horse.

Mine don't wear boots unless jumping (open fronts) or cross country/galloping (or if reschooling something likely to damage itself through extreme behaviours), as i don't like heating up the tendons unnecessarily (and i cool off tendons asap after). Also seen people warm up with bandages/boots and then take them off just before they go in - if you have ever worn something over your wrist or ankle then taken it off the joint feels weak, so sometimes i don't think it helps the horse to wear support wear then have it removed before competing.

However, if going matchy matchy gives you confidence to ride better then there was a great tangerine numnah advertised somewhere that would stand out fantastically on a black horse! Just avoid anything your horse finds uncomfortable.

That's really interesting wiki. That's all I did when I did our first comp the other week. We just worked on being relaxed for the first test , and I always have a loose cavesson noseband. Being a dressage dunce I didn't hold up much hope for good marks, as we hadn't done much for a few weeks, and I only went because a few friends where going. I didn't have anything on her legs at all either. I'm just keen to not stick out like a sore thumb, for using the wrong kit ! We actually got 64% for both tests, with some lovely comments from the judge. We even got placed in the 2nd test. I was over the moon, and just found it a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks everyone !

little_critter

Visit site
That's really interesting wiki. That's all I did when I did our first comp the other week. We just worked on being relaxed for the first test , and I always have a loose cavesson noseband. Being a dressage dunce I didn't hold up much hope for good marks, as we hadn't done much for a few weeks, and I only went because a few friends where going. I didn't have anything on her legs at all either. I'm just keen to not stick out like a sore thumb, for using the wrong kit ! We actually got 64% for both tests, with some lovely comments from the judge. We even got placed in the 2nd test. I was over the moon, and just found it a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks everyone !

Be aware that while people like to put on bandages etc for lessons / clinics etc. It is against the rules of British Dressage to use boots / bandages in a competition (and as most unaffiliated competitions also run using BD rules, it would also be against the rules of most unaff comps).
If you wore boots / bandages in a competition you would be eliminated. Sorry if you already know this but your post above makes it sound like you might not.

Asha

Visit site
Be aware that while people like to put on bandages etc for lessons / clinics etc. It is against the rules of British Dressage to use boots / bandages in a competition (and as most unaffiliated competitions also run using BD rules, it would also be against the rules of most unaff comps).
If you wore boots / bandages in a competition you would be eliminated. Sorry if you already know this but your post above makes it sound like you might not.

Thanks lc, I didn't know that. Rules on show jumping, yes get all that. but dressage no. Ive concentrated on my home breds competing BSJA, now its my time for some fun on my trusty steed. So anything I need to know, please tell me !

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Things you need to know about dressage.......
You will ride what you think is a bad test and win on 80%, next week you will ride what you think is the best test ever and get 55%
Riding dressage inhibits the ability to smile.
Rules of warm up arena are followed to the letter all the way to the crash unlike BS which has no rules and works.
If you don't get in the ribbons then you were just competing against yourself (that's what you tell people afterwards).
You only need a couple of hours at the comp center, not all day like BS.
Long swishy ponytails are frowned upon.
Your scores will take ages to appear on BD database and will then be wrong
Prize money is not worth talking about (or competing for).
There will be space in the lorry park.
You will be able to hear a pin drop at all times.
The white boards are not practice jumps.

Notimetoride

Visit site
This bandaging thing seems to be a fashion and doesn't serve any purpose. Indeed, a vet at a recent demo stated they can be detrimental. I personally sometimes use some old battered woof wear brushing boots and over reach boots but not all the time. I do have some nice white stretch and flex boots which occasionally come out. What I DO ALWAYS use without fail when hacking is knee boots. Broken knees are so 'last season'.

I love nothing more than seeing someone bring in a woolly unclipped horse in a GP saddle with a holey numnah, and basically show everyone else how it's done ! Brilliant.

Don't worry about looking fancy if you don't want to, and concentrate on training.

wkiwi

Visit site
You will ride what you think is a bad test and win on 80%, next week you will ride what you think is the best test ever and get 55%
Rules of warm up arena are followed to the letter all the way to the crash unlike BS which has no rules and works.
If you don't get in the ribbons then you were just competing against yourself (that's what you tell people afterwards).

RFLMAO - this is so true!!! Except at some venues there won't be space in the lorry park if you are running late.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I dispute the think about no jumpies around the white boards too. I was at a show the other day and the horse in the arena shot out from underneath its rider, pinged the white boards, pinged the arena fence, and the warm up fence... missed his calling there I think.

Asha

Visit site

hahahaha !! I will take all that on board. I have already broken one of those, as I did more than smile in test the other week, I actually giggled the last bit of the test. My son ( who I had to bribe with bacon butties) read my test out, but got the last page mixed up with another test, so we went wrong. The judge was nice about it and let me do it again.
The times are great compared to BS, so happy about that !

monte1

Visit site

Brilliant, love this :)

Cowpony

Visit site

Great post PM! You missed a few though:

Your horse will warm up so beautifully you will almost be crying with happiness......until you head towards the arena. It will then turn into a spooky, nappy lama, yelling to its mates every 10 seconds
You will ride the best test of your life shortly before forgetting the next movement. And the one after that
The one time you haven't learned your test and ask somebody to read it for you will be the one day there is a howling gale
When you need to do counter canter your horse will change legs
Once you have started learning counter canter your horse will strike off on the wrong leg in a test for the first time ever
When you need to do changes your horse will counter canter

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Great post PM! You missed a few though:

Your horse will warm up so beautifully you will almost be crying with happiness......until you head towards the arena. It will then turn into a spooky, nappy lama, yelling to its mates every 10 seconds
You will ride the best test of your life shortly before forgetting the next movement. And the one after that
The one time you haven't learned your test and ask somebody to read it for you will be the one day there is a howling gale
When you need to do counter canter your horse will change legs
Once you have started learning counter canter your horse will strike off on the wrong leg in a test for the first time ever
When you need to do changes your horse will counter canter

Ah young padwan, you are almost a master of the Dressage Torture (oops test) but you forgot the elusive one.
Last centerline during regionals your horse will trip over its own back legs almost landing on its nose.

Kikke

Visit site
I compete at Medium and my horse never wears boots unless we are jumping. Don't see the point in her case really as she doesn't brush and have never found any injuries from riding without. Plus she has 4 beautiful whites so would not even notice if I booted her up in nice white boots.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

Think this should be added, definitely not because it happened to me :eek: :rolleyes3:

You will ride your best extended trot, with a photographer present to record it, and then look at the pictures and realise you'd left your sleeves rolled up like some 80's throw-back thereby ruining the pictures :eek:.