Dressage test at merrist wood

bz88

Visit site
Hello. My daughter who is 10 have entered dressage test at merrist wood. It’s only intro a and I know we will get our time and number couple of days before but I do have few questions.
We will hack there as I don’t have trailer and it’s only 10 minutes away which means we can’t hang around. After class is done do we get the results? We have asked for last slot in the class so hopefully we will be in and out. Do you have to introduce yourself in the arena?
We basically “all the gear no idea” and although my girl is confident with it I’m in a bit of the state🤣 when it comes to what to expect when we arrive before test and after. Would anyone kindly offer me advice and do and don’ts?
Thank you

Chianti

Visit site
Can you go to a competition before your date? Then you'll be able to hang around and see how it works. As far as I remember - it's been a while - you go to the secretary's office when you arrive to let them know you're there. This is usually at the back of the building. Get on and go into the warm up arena. If your daughters not used to warming up in a big school with several others then it might be useful for you to search on line for the correct protocols eg pass left to left. You're not allowed to go into the warm up arena so grab a place by the fence. Usually they give you a call when you've a few minutes before your turn to let you know, but it's useful to know the number of the rider before you, so you know when they go in. Your number will be called by a steward and you go to just outside the entrance - there's usually a steward there who will tell you when you can go in. Once in the indoor school, ride around the outside of the arena. They sometimes have two classes in the indoor school so you need to know which side your test is being run and what the judge will use to tell you to start, e.g. a bell. Do the test! Cool down in the outdoor school. If you're last in the class you may be able to get your sheet while you're still there- if not you used to be able to leave a stamped addressed envelope for them to send it to you. If it's an intro it will probably be first in the day so you could drive back later to pick it up. Make sure you've got your number on the rider/ pony as required and the tack is all allowed. Don't forget to take off boots if the pony wears them before she goes in. Are you going to call for her? if so, it's usual to stand at the opposite end of the arena to the judge. I once stood by the judge's car window and got told off at the end of the test for distracting her by my shouting! Don't forget to thank the stewards and those in the secretary's office.

Remember it's meant to be fun! Hope she does well.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
All good advice from Chianti above.

Just to add, if you are hacking, aim to arrive about 30 mins before your start time. Time disappears quickly!
Ensure you have 2 numbers on pony, one each side (you'll be told what number she is when you get start time) on bridle or saddle pad.
No need to pop into secretary office, just make your way to the right of the indoor arena to the warm up arena behind and let steward on the gate know you are there. Be warned, if at the end of the class you will find others warming up for the next class so they might be cantering in there.
Get daughter to spend the next 10 mins walking pony round, you check with steward which end of main arena she will be doing her test in, one end has bell, the other has buzzer to start.
*note* if 2 arenas are set up in there, she will not be able to ride round the outside of either, they will direct her into the arena and she can walk and trot inside the boards till buzzer or bell goes to start.
If you are calling the test, then you need to stand at E or B on the gallery side, just outside arena behind the letter.
Usually MW can be quite quick at getting results out.

Final note, find somewhere quiet if waiting 10 mins after, as the next classes will be already warming up.

Good luck 🙂