Dressage today - make me feel better!

Jellicle

Visit site
I did a prelim dressage test today on my share horse. He is (ahem) 'forward going' at competitions and we didn't have much time to warm up, but I felt like this test went better than the last few - I thought we had a good shape on the circles and quite even, though every time we went past the judges hut he spooked, so everything that end of the arena was dodgy!

Anyway, afterwards the judge called me over because she said she was worried about me. She said I was really unbalanced and just swayed around on top of the horse. She likened me to an 'ocean liner'.

I was really upset, though I think she was trying to be helpful. To help me, could people a)tell me about disasterous tests they have had and b) give tips on how I can improve my balance?

not_with_it

Visit site
I am actually quite shocked to read that, I can understand why you feel like you do. I cant believe a judge would say that. A supportive comment or advice on the bottom of the sheet would have been much more helpful.

We have all had disasterous tests at some point. Just put it down to experience and aim to improve. Find a good instructor and have lessons, lunge lessons are good for helping balance.

catembi

Visit site
I'd been practising for weeks & weeks for an ODE on a pony I had just after I graduated...

On the day he went mental & we got a nought (!!) & lots of marks below 4 cos he just cantered thru the whole test. Then we got eliminated early on in the sj. And I couldn't even throw him in the lorry cos we didn't have one, so had to ride him 5 miles home not feeling very happy.

I've gone wrong twice in a test despite having learnt it & it being called.

I've tried to ride an earlier version of a test not realising that it had been superseded.

I've had to compete in a white t shirt with my collar duck taped to the neck cos I forgot my shirt.

I nearly got bucked off by my 4 yo in tests loads of times - it was more like rodeo than dressage!!!

Next time will be better. Try getting a friend to film you so you can see for yourself what you look like? It's like hearing your voice on a tape recorder - you don't look anything like you think you look!!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
In the days when you had to trot down the center line and then halt at the start of the test, I once had a horse halt, then rear and wave at the judge
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

My friends horse napped ran backwards and kicked a hole in the judges car window, before he had even started his test.
shocked.gif

dwi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My friends horse napped ran backwards and kicked a hole in the judges car window, before he had even started his test.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO

That almost encourages me to do a dressage test as nothing we did could be that bad
grin.gif

dwi

Visit site
I had my OH video me ride for the first time last week and it really helped because I could see where I was going wrong

Allykat

Visit site
Thats really not a nice thing for the Judge to have done. I feel for you
frown.gif

One horse I had on loan was a bone idle hannovarian......spoilt by his mother I might add. I just couldn't get him moving forward off my leg, he was stubborn. I persevered only to be called up by the judge at the end to tell me she thought he was lame behind!! He was, funnily enough. sound and forward going for the hack home!!

Another test on same horse we attempted novice 21 and had to show lengthened trot strides....I thought we didn't do too bad. The judge found us afterwards to tell me what a lovely looking horse he was showing a lot of promise. She asked how old he was as he was obviously not ready for lengthened strides yet.....I replied he was nearly 15 and she sloped off rather quickly

More recently...I had to retire my test half way up the first centre line, I'd not even made it to X!! It was sunny and the judge was sitting outside under a huge sun umbrella......not one other horse noticed it except mine and I couldn't get him anywhere near the C end of the school.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I once got a string of 3's and 4's for a test on a mare I owned. She cantered and bounced around with excitement through most of the test. I'm sure the judge thought we were crap, but I was pleased as it was the first time I'd managed to keep her in the arena!!

Things are generally not so bad now but...

..to my mind, 'Critti-sage' is a necessary evil of Eventing. I love schooling and having flatwork lessons, but get me in an arena with someone judging, and I can't help but feel that that judge is looking to criticise every movement I do. When I get the sheet back, and they have, I'm mortified. If I get one positive comment I'm elated, but it doesn't seem to happen very often! I've decided I'm just not thick-skinned enough to enjoy competing dressage!!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Oh no wonder you felt a bit crap. I think that was out of order for the judge to come and say that to you. Surely a comment on the bottom of the sheet would have been enough?

Well my worse one has to be when I was on my last horse Otto. We were in the warm-up which happened to be a very deep, wet school and Otto fell over his own feet. Well I ended coming off (about a metre from the harrow they used to pull the school) so ended up completely covered in sand. So I had to go into my dressage test looking absolutely disgusting, I felt like crap. The test lucky didn’t go too bad but I found sand in places I didn’t think I would find sand, put it that way!
frown.gif