Dressage Training in Europe

SarahNZ

Visit site
Has anyone been over to Europe and done a dressage training stint? If you have where did you go, for how long and how was it?

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Where are you based?

Theres an abundance of good trainers in the UK that tends to mean training in Europe isnt as necessary... unless you fancy having a go at the reitabzeichen. The only thing Id say is that if you are, prepare for a lot of hard work and to really start from the bottom - regardless of how good you are
wink.gif

Ive had a couple of minor stints in spain and portugal but that was for classical training and not formal.

I am considering a trip to france, but not sure I want to leave my OH for the amount of time involved in the course I was interested in.

Back to my original question.. where are you based? We've got so many good trainers in the UK!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Well given when people refer to "going to europe" for horses they tend to be speaking of holland / germany I *assumed* the OP was refering the these countries.. also since he / she has posted a lot recently regarding importing from the two above countries.

Sorry if my assumptions offended.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Don't worry for goodness' sake! I am taking the p!ss! My comment was more in agreement with yours if anything - my point being that breeders/trainers/riders here are as "european" as any other residents of a certain fourteen countries! It is apparent in all walks of life but the equestrian community is very guilty of the island mentality... (I was raised a eurobrat, just ignore me if I offend
tongue.gif
)

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Yea i agree we are very guilty
frown.gif

When people refer to buying horses from europe and so on, i just assume they mean germany / holland / denmark
frown.gif
(ironically I dont tend to immediatly think of spain and yet I love the spanish horses!)

Pretty bad habit really....

SarahNZ

Visit site
Ok well don't shoot me, but I am meaning Germany/Holland....
shocked.gif

The reason I'm looking at these two countries, is that I have made intitial enquiries with one or two top stables there, and one has offered me a visit to meet and discuss, and the other isn't able to take in riders without horses, however has been more than helpful giving me other contacts.

The UK ones I have contacted, have either not replied, or replied once negatively, and never heard from again, despite emails and phone calls.... They've (to be honest) IMHO been very unhelpful and in some cases a bunch of snobby £~@&'s!
tongue.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Lol @ the UK yards
frown.gif
Thats really sad
frown.gif
Theres no wonder so many people prefer training abroad
frown.gif

What exactly is it that you're after? Are you wanting to gain actual qualifications or just wanting to train somewhere decent?

The following is purely my opinion and i know others will disagree.

If it was me, and i wanted qualifications, then Id aim for the german reitabzeichen. These, in my opinion, are held in higher regard than the UK BHS stages. (I do have my BHS stages, but at this point, if i was serious about wanting further professions qualifications, I head for Germany).

Now, i have a good friend who spent 2 years out in Germany. Her riding is amazing and she's now shortlisted for the world class start and potential squad. That being said, when she was out there, she had to start from absolute rock bottom (i.e. she was making tea for people and doing general skivvy type jobs). Take into account she was a very very talented rider before she even went out there... this is why I suggest being prepared to be right at the bottom regardless of your level of riding.

Your options in the UK are the BHS stages or to train with a British dressage tainer under their award scheme. My trainer takes one person at a time for this scheme but aside from being able to say "I trained with x person", im not sure what you actually get out of it (i mean in terms of solid qualifications). I personally dont think that the BHS exams are held in very high regard in other countries and to be honest, even in this country people are much more interested in the experience you have than the BHS qualifications.

Sooooo... one thought could be to contact British Dressage and ask for their advice.

Ive looked into training with the Cadre Noir in France as they have an option that results in you gaining a qualification similar to the BHS fellowship. But they are, more classical based and might not be what you're after. They're also hard to get a place with
frown.gif

Really sorry that you've not had better luck with the UK trainers - thats so disappointing
frown.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Aaah! ok.

If you're in the UK, Id definitly contact British Dressage first.

Have you got your own horse and who do you currently train with? Can they not give you some advice? Or perhaps anyone who you have trained with in the past?

nelson

www.stableads.com
Depends exactly what you want, what you have done and what level you are riding at now.

You can either go to a yard (but you would need to take your own horse to get the best from it), and hope to get proper training rather than just a glorified groom who gets to ride to excersise.

Another option is to look at the Hannoverian Riding school where you can stay for a few days and do a course on their horses. Look on HERE on the right hand side is a link to their courses. You could combine it with a holiday as well
smile.gif

SarahNZ

Visit site
Hmmm. Well I'm not too fussed on getting a qualification, I'd rather go somewhere where I can possibly ride and watch to learn.

Nelson, I've ridden up to PSG level, but don't come from the UK, and at the moment I don't have my own horse (and if I do purchase (fingers crossed) it will be too young to ride).

I've recently been a glorified groom, but got sick of that pretty quickly! hehe. I don't mind doing that for a top rider but these two were a bunch of twerps!! LOL!

Hmmm Hanoverian Riding School looks promising, however I'd need to do a bit more riding here in Uk as well, before I went to benefit from such a short period of training.... my body is getting a little 'soft' from the lack of riding over the last month or two!!
blush.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
British Dressage introduced their apprenticeship scheme to try to alleviate the "qualification" problem. You do a structured apprenticeship with one of their listed people (its quite a list!) and come out with something more than "I have trained/worked for x". I know that they are changing it to try to make it a bit clearer and more structured, but not sure if this has happened yet. Have a look here: BD .

I think the German system is far superior to the BHS exams, which imho are seriously in need of updating and an complete overhaul!

x

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
If you arent too fussed about the qualifcations, I'd try and get yourself something sorted here in the UK.

I understand its not much fun to end up as purely a groom when you're after a lot of riding experience. I'd take a look at this:-

http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/info/apprenticeship.html

And then contact BD and see what they could offer you.

The head groom at our yard is on this scheme with my trainer and while he does have a lot of yard responsibilities, he's also getting to work with very very nice dressage horses and consequently gets a lot of riding as well. Initially, he was restricted to lunging work and very little riding.. but a year down the line he rides all the horses when the YO is abroad or away. He's getting competition experience and is also getting to the BYRDs camps, albeit with one of the livery's horses.

He works hard for sure, but the improvements in his riding since he started have been pretty amazing and he'll be able to put on his CV that he's trained with a very well known BD trainer
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
It is sad, isn't it! It is no wonder that we are getting left behind in equestrian sports when the majority of our teachers are trained using an outdated and often frankly wierd system.

I think it is because to a some degree the BHS approach to riding is as a leisure activity, with not much emphasis on it as a sport at elite (or even not-so elite levels). In Germany it is considered a sport and people are taught to ride with a view to being good enough to compete at a specific discipline with some competence.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Agree with you completly. Here, most training is based upon the idea of riding as a leisure activity. So many riding schools are quite appaling to be frank. Consequently the number of very talented riders we have coming through is slim!

Same damn problem with the breeding over here and when we do get decent horses, the poor riders often end up having to sell them due to a general lack of financial support for the sport

Many of the better known trainers over here give no consideration at all to the BHS exams because they consider the standards to be very lax
frown.gif
Yet someone who displays the german qualifications often commands a lot more respect!

*Sigh*. I'll get down off my soapbox now
frown.gif

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
well if you are based in kent you have daniel watson (not sure about his riding very heavy in his seat), kyra and her chap that works for her who is meant to be very good but i cant remb his name, you may know it. If you call liz west she is in the british dressage book and has lesson with him, she is a judge

Peaches

Visit site
The girl who rides my stallion has been in germany with him for the last year training. Intially they were based with Hubertus Schmidt (£1k per month for training & keep of horse) and then moved to the yard of Hubertus's head rider. Great training but exhausting - she has no time for a life btu that is accepted as it is the norm over there. Lessons are all in German (fortunately she was already fluent) & they seem to have some funny ideas about horse care (they laugh at how clean she has my boy). But as a training experience, well I'm sorry but IMO you would struggle to get similar in this country (this rider has already trained with some of the best in this country before going to Germany)

SarahNZ

Visit site
Yes just as I presumed Peaches, and it tends to be really turning out that way. There just seems no where in the country that is happy to take someone on who is willing to learn, be it for short OR longer term.

That fabulous that your rider has been with Herburtus, I have previously done a bit with his head rider Herburtus Hufendienk (I think I got that right!)...

I'd love to hear about your stallion... I'll pm you.