Dressage turnout

gallopingby

Visit site
Have been watching some of the winter dressage champs. Interested to note the variety of turnout at the lower levels and how heartening to see some people in ‘traditional’ attire. Good quality well fitting tweed jackets with suitable beige/ buff/ cream breeches. Plenty others in full dressage ‘bling’ l wonder if they look at the videos of themselves and note the vast expanse of white showing between the saddle and bottom of the jacket which is to my mind just slightly too short to present a pleasing picture?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
quite! seems all the brands are mainly doing bumfreezers at the moment. It's what you get used to seeing i guess. i prefer a longer jacket but the short ones are very popular. On a warm day nothing could persuade me to wear tweed if i didn't have to, the technical fabrics are much more comfortable.

Otherwise

Visit site
Why is it heartening to see people wear tweed? You couldn't pay me to compete in one, I'll take technical fabric with stretch and mesh lining any day of the week. I'm glad the BHS have stepped away from requiring tweed in exams, it's so impractical wearing dry clean only around horses. If you don't like the look of the 'bum freezer' jackets then that's on you not to look, I don't own one but if I wanted to wear it I wouldn't give a thought about other peoples opinions.

Ceifer

Visit site
Nobody over 18 or size 10 looks good in those bumfreezer jackets.
Agree with this. Sometimes Those technical fabrics aren’t your friend. Just my opinion though.
I am old fashioned and like a traditionally cut jacket and I prefer a tweed - especially at lower levels

Goldenstar

Visit site

of course , however it’s Hobson’s choice at the minute those technical fabrics look awful once they are not brand new whatever body shape you have

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
In the days before softshell competition jackets I loved my tweed, olive green speckled, with caramel breeches, underplayed my abilities whereas I felt navy/black, in those days, might overplay them and lead to raised expectations :p

I'm quite sure I'll never compete again but I wish I hadn't needed the cash and sold my non-bum-freezer Gidden jacket.

Nicnac

Visit site
Seeing as Charlotte Ofthegarden competed at Novice this week, I'm sure she looked fabulous despite the expanse of white!

I love the Equetech jackets as cover my lard and are super comfortably and lightweight. Tweed is fine when it's cold but in this weather, I'd melt!

Ceifer

Visit site
In the days before softshell competition jackets I loved my tweed, olive green speckled, with caramel breeches, underplayed my abilities whereas I felt navy/black, in those days, might overplay them and lead to raised expectations :p

Im the same ?. Also I love a good vintage jacket. Some beautiful tailoring available that’s more flattering and classy I think

Ouch05

Visit site
Love my bum freezer and I am way over 18!!!

I have a beautiful navy cut tweed which look gorgeous but I feel overwhelmed wearing it. I feel it makes me look larger than I am.

The bum freezes suits my figure better

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Whatever you feel comfortable in and compliments the horse,I think.

I do like the traditional tweed jackets and beige breeches/jods as well though, particularly on a chestnut or a bay. I do like smart and simple!. My grey looked wonderful with a black bum freezer and white breeches (me, not the horse!).
I tend to look at what suits the horse then look at the rider's outfit.
But it get that at higher levels, the technical fabrics are an absolute godsend, and they do look so glamorous.

scats

Visit site
I have two navy dressage jackets- a slightly longer one and a mesh style shorter one, which would probably be classed as a bum freezer, or is more bum freezer than normal, anyway. I actually can’t stand the bigger, longer one. I feel untidy in it.
I like short jackets in general though, I always buy blouson style everyday jackets and can’t stand long jackets that cover my bum.

I’m over 18, but I am a size 10, so I don’t think I look too horrific…

Ossy2

Visit site
For someone with shorter legs and longer body the shorter jacket gives me the illusion of being more in proportion. I’m over 18 and don’t think I can quite say I’m a size 10 anymore.

maisie06

Visit site

I agree! When I rode I had tweed as it would hold in all the flab! I cannot wear technical clothing as it's clingy and looks utterly disgusting on me! Mind you OI don't ride anymore as I'm too fat but I love seeing tweed worn - thanksfully I'm now into my gundogs so get my tweed fix on the local shoot!!

maisie06

Visit site
I have two navy dressage jackets- a slightly longer one and a mesh style shorter one, which would probably be classed as a bum freezer, or is more bum freezer than normal, anyway. I actually can’t stand the bigger, longer one. I feel untidy in it.
I like short jackets in general though, I always buy blouson style everyday jackets and can’t stand long jackets that cover my bum.

I’m over 18, but I am a size 10, so I don’t think I look too horrific…

I'm a size 22 so always make sure I'm well covered up - people don't need to see my flab!!!

Expo

Visit site

Well ... I'm a size 10 but definitely won't be seeing 18 again!! I look quite nice in my little black "bum freezer" jacket. I think it all depends on the quality of the bum ..... :D

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm pear shaped, pushing 50, and look beyond hideous in white with short jackets. I have to be very careful what I wear, and feel I look smarter in beige breeches with a longer length traditional cut navy show jacket. Competing at medium and I don't feel out of place in beige (though I'd love to be able to carry off white breeches). I personally don't like the look of bum freezers as they just don't look very smart to me, though it seems to be all that is made these days.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I have an ancient navy show jacket which covers my bum and makes me look quite elegant - I would look terrible in a bum freezer and feel horribly self conscious. I haven't been able to find a longer show jacket to replace my ancient one - and I have tried very hard!

Pippity

Visit site
I'll stick with my tweed, thanks! We're very unlikely to go above prelim, so I think a chunky HW cob looks far more appropriate with me in tweed.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'm so little, I look swamped in traditional show jackets. Bumfreezers are ideal for me ? I'm over 18 but under size 10 though

nikkimariet

Visit site
Have been watching some of the winter dressage champs. Interested to note the variety of turnout at the lower levels and how heartening to see some people in ‘traditional’ attire. Good quality well fitting tweed jackets with suitable beige/ buff/ cream breeches. Plenty others in full dressage ‘bling’ l wonder if they look at the videos of themselves and note the vast expanse of white showing between the saddle and bottom of the jacket which is to my mind just slightly too short to present a pleasing picture?

I’m an ass girl, so long live the bum freezer jackets… ;)

leflynn

Visit site
As a short arse on the wrong side of 40 and not a 10 any more I love my technical bum freezer, doesn't swamp me, doesn't get stuck under my a$$ and has hidden zip to suck any wobbly bits in so I'm sticking with mine ;)

Got to love the internet for an opinion about something.... If you don't like it don't look!