Drinker problems

fernando

Visit site
I have recently bought a house with 2 stables, and brought my 17yo home to speak, but since we moved here he won't go near the water drinker in his stable!!!!

I have thoroughly cleaned it out, drained all the water in the pipes, repeatedly and still he won't go near it.

I don't want to leave him with out a bucket of water in case he won't go near it and get dehydrated.

Please, any suggestions to make the drinker more enticing?

Irishcobs

Visit site
How big is the drinker? I know a horse that won't use one as he has a big nose and doesn't like touching the edge with his whiskers.

michaeljarmuz

Visit site
Gosh well what I'd do is tie him up neer it when your grooming him to get him neer it and also.
show him youre hand and get some water on it and just wet his nose so he knows its there etc and gets used to it

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
What about putting some peppermint cordial in the drinker (better try the cordial in the bucket 1st to check he likes it). If possible turn the mains off to the drinker, so you know if he has drunk from it.

RobinHood

Visit site
How about tieing the ball cock up so it can't refil (I jam scissors under mine) and take the plug out so it empties and then use it a feed manger. Maybe once he's eaten feed out of it he'll be happy to drink out of it.