Drive to ride

TJB

Visit site
Hi wanting advice on taking a horse that has mainly driven to being ridden after having some time. It has been broken to ride. But hasn’t been ridden for sometime. Interested to hear views, advice and comments. Thank you

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd be long reining 1st to find out what kind of mouth the horse has. Then get tack on and build fitness and getting supple slowly.
Once going, you might well find as a predominantly driving animal that he/she goes in centre of tracks as allows for vehicle. That said, if he/she has been ridden, they might not.

Shouldn't be much difference really if was driven by a decent set of hands.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My neighbour had a driving pair but one bolted so obviously they never drove again.
The one that bolted sadly died some years later. She now has brought the other into ridden work for her grandson and they are having a fab time together.
My own current horse was bought and broken to drive by his first proper owners, he too bolted and had a nasty accident. I’m not sure if he was broken to ride prior or after but he’s now only ridden and is great.
I ride another driving horse and find her difficult. She seems not to get legs at all.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Pole work and hill work to build muscle. Hopefully they will be good with voice commands so adding the ridden instruction shouldn't be too bad. As above mine insists on being in the middle of the road ?
Ohhhhh yes! You’ve just given me a little insight there. Of course they would be used to the middle of the road

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ohhhhh yes! You’ve just given me a little insight there. Of course they would be used to the middle of the road

I have had several R&D horses, although I don't enjoy driving. They have all preferred to use the middle of the road, it's not just about room for the vehicle but avoiding tipping the cart because of the camber. In fact I deduced from the middle of the road hogging and her understanding of traffic that my Westphalian must have driven in a past life, although not in her last 2 homes, as I knew about those.

rara007

Visit site
My horses must be a bit dense as they’ve not cottoned on to going in the middle of the road. Sit up slowly the first time, possibly use blinkers to start and remember you have the voice to back up if the leg aids are not as sharp as you’d want. Most likely will be used to an unjointed bit.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have had several R&D horses, although I don't enjoy driving. They have all preferred to use the middle of the road, it's not just about room for the vehicle but avoiding tipping the cart because of the camber. In fact I deduced from the middle of the road hogging and her understanding of traffic that my Westphalian must have driven in a past life, although not in her last 2 homes, as I knew about those.
Yes it makes perfect sense when someone says it!
I’ve never driven or had any desire to do so, my own horse is fine on the side but he’s been solely a ridden horse for a good few years now. The mare definitely wants to be in the middle of the road.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My horses must be a bit dense as they’ve not cottoned on to going in the middle of the road. Sit up slowly the first time, possibly use blinkers to start and remember you have the voice to back up if the leg aids are not as sharp as you’d want. Most likely will be used to an unjointed bit.
I've only had it with 2 that had been previously as singles, never a problem from a pair half though, tho thought it worth mentioning ?
Yes, one worked better to start with in winkers under saddle ?