Driver hit ponies ridden by young girls.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My lord! What is the world coming too! Lucky that these girls and ponies are safe, driver needs locking up that is attempted murder as far as I am concerned!

undergroundoli

Visit site
Good on the girl for sitting that rear, really glad the pony marked the car and even gladder everyone is ok.

As for the driver, lowest form of pond life. Wish we were aloud to swear.

Mrs C

Visit site
That is terrible and what's even more scary is they would do that to children. It would scar me for life that - I wouldn't ride again!

undergroundoli

Visit site
Just so ignorant, unnecessary and thuggish. Wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason he did it was that they were teenagers.

Clare85

Visit site
How awful, I just don't understand people sometimes. Thank goodness nobody was seriously injured or worse.

Not that it would have made any difference to the disgusting behaviour of the driver, but why on earth were such young girls out on the roads without adult supervision?

undergroundoli

Visit site
The oldest girl was 18, which is an adult. I don't think 12 is that young to be out without 'proper adult' supervision. Plenty of year seven kids go home from school on their own.

The worst things that are likely to happen to girls riding their ponies are car related and sadly no adult can make a difference there.

pennyturner

Visit site
How awful, I just don't understand people sometimes. Thank goodness nobody was seriously injured or worse.

Not that it would have made any difference to the disgusting behaviour of the driver, but why on earth were such young girls out on the roads without adult supervision?

Since when is 18 not an adult?
Clearly both kids were competent riders, well in control of their ponies. If they'd both been 12, so what?

I'd be very proud of mine if they brought themselves and their ponies back safe after such an incident... and extra polos for the pony that did the damage. I do hope they jail the driver for assault with a deadly weapon with intent.

Clare85

Visit site
The oldest girl was 18, which is an adult. I don't think 12 is that young to be out without 'proper adult' supervision. Plenty of year seven kids go home from school on their own.

The worst things that are likely to happen to girls riding their ponies are car related and sadly no adult can make a difference there.

The article says the girls were aged between 12 and 8. I know I wouldn't want a 12 year old supervising children this young. I think 12 is too young to be not only out unsupervised but also in charge of much younger children. It probably wouldn't have made a difference to the behaviour of the driver to have an adult there, but an adult may have had the wherewithal to take a number plate or have known for sure the make/model of the car. It's a big responsibility for a 12 year old.

Nessa4

Visit site
Since when is 18 not an adult?
Clearly both kids were competent riders, well in control of their ponies. If they'd both been 12, so what?

I'd be very proud of mine if they brought themselves and their ponies back safe after such an incident... and extra polos for the pony that did the damage. I do hope they jail the driver for assault with a deadly weapon with intent.

I think confusion has arisen from the fact that the girls are described in the article as "aged from 12 to eight years old" - presumeably a typo?

Equi

Visit site
The oldest was 13. Young yes but that is not the issue here. I was hacking alone from age 12 myself. The issue is the driver attempting to hurt people.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
This really is worrying, what the hell is the world coming to and to happen to such young children as well. I did hear about it as its not far from me and I bloody hope the police take this seriously as what will happen next time? Lucky the kid sat the rear and didnt fall and end up under the car. Humans can really be scum but at least he had some damage to his car.

flaxen tail

Visit site
This is really awful so glad no serious injuries but who knows the ponies may be unrideable near traffic from now on. As the driver left the scene of an accident without stopping that in itself is serious and I think you can go to prison for it so hope the driver is caught, someone may see the damaged car .

skint1

Visit site
The driver would have had to get his windscreen repaired- perhaps the police can contact windscreen repairers and see if there was a repair consistent with the incident?

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If anyone knows the riders concerned please encourage them to report this incident on the www.horseaccidents.org.uk web site.

Road Traffic Act 1988 Part V11
It is widely suspected that road collisions involving equestrians are under reported to the police. If you or your horse suffers injury or damage as a result of the presence of a motor vehicle on ‘a road or other public place’ the driver must stop and give his or her details, or else report the collision to the police.
So you and your horse don’t actually have to be hit by a vehicle for the driver to be required to report an incident.

Houndman

Visit site
I remember some years ago a driver trying to force their way through the hounds, and the ended up with a massive hoof dent in the bonnet.

pennyturner

Visit site
Yesterday a middle aged woman decided not to use the convenient passing place to allow myself and 8yo daughter safely past, but to continue at 30+mph on a narrow single lane. She was so close to me (I was tucked well into the side) that a slight change in the angle of my hand had the schooling whip i was carrying clattering noisily along her car (if I'd stuck my leg out it would have been my stirrup). I had to look behind to check daughter was still there. Luckily she too was riding sensibly into the verge. Her pony is rock steady and nearly 30, but shyed for the first time in years.
Not impressed :(

I think all riders should be allowed to carry a medieval 'morning star' for such occasions - how else is one to defend oneself against a tonne of metal at speed?

LittleOwl

Visit site
I was hacking alone from age 10 - my pony was safe and I started with rides of around 30 minutes with little roadwork as I wanted the independence. The driver would have done the same regardless of who was there

Chunkie

Visit site
I was also hacking alone from the age of 12, but that was almost 40 years ago and there's a massive difference in traffic volume and driver attitudes between then and now - I've even noticed the difference in both over the past 10 years.

If the oldest really was 12/13, it's too young to be out on the road alone these days. Things have changed.

Houndman

Visit site
I would say it depends on where it is and how much traffic. I was riding out alone at 10.

The driver probably doesn't have insurance and/or a valid driving license anyway, and the car may be stolen.