Drivers deserve consideration too! Rant alert

hairycob

Visit site
OH was driving to the supermarket this morning along a fairly narrow, very windy and fairly busy road. 2 riders were riding 2 abreast, second rider in the centre of the road making it impossible to pass at all, let alone safely. They were completely unconcerned about the queue of traffic that was building up behind them.
I know the stretch of road quite well & if some one had come around a sharp bend towards them it could have been very nasty indeed.
Now OH is well trained and he waited for some time before it was safe to pass (he was at the front of the queue). He parked up in a field entrance and walked back to them. He calmly and politely told them that that road was not suitable for riding 2 abreast & that hogging the road made drivers resent them & not all drivers would be as considerate as him. Their response was snotty to say the least and can basically be summed as "tough".
Why do some riders have to act as if nobody else has a right to be there. If they had pulled into a field entrance or gone single file for a way they would have created good will to riders. Even OH said if he hadn't been horse aware he would have been tempted to beep his horn after a while - then what would they have said - yep "inconsiderate driver!". And only 1 of them was weraing hi viz.

Irishcobs

Visit site
It is sad that some riders out there are so inconsiderate to other road users. Around me I am the only one out of about 15 riders that will trot to get to an enterance or a wider bit of road, and I would say I have one of the most differcult/ novice horses in my arena. But like you say they would be the first to complain if a car driver etc was slightly inconsiderate to them.

helenandshadow

Visit site
People like that really annoy me because it gives all riders a bad name. In my area hardly any riders wear anything reflective and sometimes you can't see them at all.
mad.gif

Rachel_M

Visit site
That really pisses me off. I am resented at work for riding horses and it is riders like that who keep the public thinking we are all inconsiderate snobs.
mad.gif

Lozz1uk

Visit site
Exactly, it's also frustrating when riders don't thank you for slowing down, it makes me want to whizz back past beeping. Surely its not difficult to smile.

hairycob

Visit site
I always try & make sure cars can get by safely. It's not like we are rushing somewhere that pulling in for a few seconds is going to make a difference.

marmite

Visit site
this really pee's me off when im out riding we do go 2 abreast but we have big roads to do it on i always make a point if im coming up to a junction and a car is indicating to go the same way as me i stop and let them go first so they dont get stuck behind me.
And if there is traffic i always move over if i can to let them past.

Its ignorant people like that who give the rest of us bad names.

hairycob

Visit site
I can see the point of riding 2 abreast - I've heard it makes you more visible & drivers tend to slow down more. But some roads just aren't suitable are they.

marmite

Visit site
i do it in poppleton because they are like main roads pleanty of room to do it but in my village where i stabled before i moved the roads are just far too narrow and i would never of gone out without high viz either.

Just not worth the risk if you have an accident its not just you and your horse at risk its another person with family too.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I've met riders like these and stopped to talk to them too.
To be fair though on busy roads often riding two abreast is safer as the traffic does have to go round you, but both should have been wearing hi vis vests with pass wide and slow on to warn drivers, young horse vests get even more attention.
I once made a vest with BEWARE THIS HORSE KICKS CARS on, and it worked a treat..
I do think in this case they were being pig ignorant by the sound of it, and should have been thinking about thanking drivers and allowing them safely past.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Just got back from riding my novice/nervous horse and I had to cross a single lane bridge that I ride across everyday. I always trot if a car comes, as I'm out the way quicker. So today, I had a motorbike come up behind me and a car waiting for me the other way. I trotted (rather fast, I lost the brakes- he's not a fan of motorbikes) across, signalled as my turning is just after the bridge, thanked the car that was waiting by holding up a hand, nodding and saying thankyou, and the re-signalled as another car came round the corner (too fast). I then turned down my lane, and looked round and thanked the motorbike for waiting behind me, again by holding up a hand, nodding and saying thankyou, all at a stomping, slightly out of control trot! If I can do it why can't others.

hairycob

Visit site
Good for you. I think I would have settled for nodding, smiling & mouthing thankyou!
When OH told me this morning, as well as the lack of coutesy to drivers, I found it quite scarey what would have happened if someone had come fast round a bend towards them. One was right in the middle of the road & to avoid the horse a vehicle would have had to swerve into a bank.

Rachel_M

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
again by holding up a hand, nodding and saying thankyou, all at a stomping, slightly out of control trot! If I can do it why can't others.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I have such a picture of you in my head now! haha.

Call me old fashioned but I always nod, signal, etc. Even when I am a passenger in a car I will say thankyou and gesture! I say thankyou and have a nice day when I am served in Tesco's! haha, my sister just shakes her head and laughs, what??

Alot of times you can see the appreciation in the drivers face when you take them in to consideration.
smile.gif