Driving a horse box on a normal license?

daisy2005

Visit site
Hi

I am looking at possibly buying a small horse box and was wondering what weight you can drive up to on a normal car license? I know you can with the 3.5 ton but can you with the 4.5? I would like a small box with a little living area but most of the small 3.5 ton boxes won't carry two horses (I would mainly only be taking one but would be nice to carry two if needed). Some manufactures have said they can upgrade this to carry more weight but would this mean I can still drive it on a normal license?

Thanks in advance.

Shay

Visit site
You need to check your license. In general terms if you passed before 1997 you can drive any vehicle up to a mass weight of 7.5 tonnes - as long as you also do not also carry more than 8 people or attach a trailer to it as well. (Although you might have seperate individual restrictions placed on your license for medical reasons.) If you passed after 1997 then the categories change - almost year on year. You can check the various categories here https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories.

fabscd

Visit site
Short answer - if you passed your 'car' test after 1st Jan 1997 you can drive up to 3.5t, if you passed before then, you should be able to drive up to 7.5t. But as Jemima says above, check the categories you have on your licence.

daisy2005

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Rog- not yet have been doing lots of practice but still haven't done my test, hopefully will do it soon so I have it