Driving Equines on Narrow Lanes

lizijj

Visit site
Hi, we are breaking our Shetlands in the ride/drive this spring. We are very lucky to live on the Cornish coast, but rather unlucky to have the tourist traffic at peak holidays. One of the driving jobs will be to deliver produce from our farm shop to the local campsites. Our lanes are narrow and few passing places. What would you do if you met a vehicle that refused to back up? A bus or city driver for example??!!??

katastrophykat

Visit site
I just stop and wait til it does and say thank you!

Alternatively (I have a marathon vehicle) spin them round and go back the other way, perhaps in walk to cool them off ;) I haven't ever had to try as the sight of a bouncing fit section D bring asked to stand still mid-drive is usually enough to make them reverse- or at least his feet waving in the air is!

If my D had to back up more than a few feet there would be hell on.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I remember as a child driving my cousin's donkey down a narrow devon lane and having a Rolls Royce having to follow us for about a mile :D

lizijj

Visit site
You would be amazed at how many people seem to have passed the driving test in urban areas, and yet can not successfully reverse in a narrow lane!!! Yes, I think a Sec D at full throttle would be a little bit intimidating! A little Shetland no so much so! I'm also worried there would not be enough room to turn around.... :S

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
you could try a polite explanation that backing equine and carriage is like trying to reverse a caravan without having a mirror ;) ........ most folk would probably appreciate how difficult it is if put in terms of comprehension ;)

I would like car drivers to understand rather than be put off ;)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Having driven along those lanes, I would stop and tell drivers back up or have hoofprints on your bonnet, I lost all headlights on those roads many moons ago, parked up till dawn then continued home with two young kids and MIL in car

lizijj

Visit site
Love the donkey story! We also have a donk, just building a shay for it - we have quite a few annoying 'celebs' with second homes next door. There is a whole world of fun to be had I think ;) Just worried about the bloody bus and those drivers who get very agro!

katastrophykat

Visit site
Tazzle- I agree totally but in all honesty they are worse with a horse and carriage than they are with riders round here- they seem to think just because it has wheels it's not an animal. I've had so many try to take Ru's nose off cutting us up when I've had to let him go on up a hill- I dont think they realise how fast I'm going. When I drive out you can see me for bloody miles, I say thank you to everyone I can, if I can't my groom does, and we smile nicely. But yet, they still wait til the narrow section/blind bend/the point where both me and the groom are indicating right/the point where we have both seen someone coming the other way and are signalling 'stop' extremely clearly to overtake.

lizijj

Visit site
I would always be polite - but some of the drivers around here during the 'season' are terrible/ignorant, even if you are in a big Landrover or tractor! Would I stop and call the police (not a lot of signal!) ? Does anyone know the law on this? Thanks :)

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
yes there can be a time to get "effective" with someone who is just flatly refusing to reverse .......... my sec d just tends to stand looking cute though :rolleyes: ... maybe I could borrow the freisan stallions from up the road and get them so do impressive moves :D:D :D

As to folk who just cant ..... I had this a while back driving a minibus along narrow lane nad had to stop with a passing place a looong way behind me and facing one lady driver about 10 feet from a passing place behind her. Dont know how she passed her test as she just could not reverse car :confused:. Luckily I am practiced at reversing :rolleyes:

must admit buses must be rather dautning to reverse in narrow lanes ...... two coaches near us one time were both reluctant to reverse and tried squeezing past each other instead :eek: :eek: :eek: ... both got stuck fast and could not disengage from each other :rolleyes:

katastrophykat

Visit site
Teach him the welsh dragon snort-and-mane-toss...

From this

IMG_2911.jpg

To this

IMG_2912.jpg

In the blink of a camera shutter! :)

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
I've had so many try to take Ru's nose off cutting us up when I've had to let him go on up a hill-

yes ... agree ..... I dont think they know that you NEED to get a head of steam going up a hill and cant stop either cos its harder to get going again

I hope that most of this is down to ignorance rather than anything else ........but sadly there are people that might just be trying to get one over either on people they see as "shouldnt be on the road" ...... or see anyone in a carriage as a "toff" ...... or well, I just dont know why :confused: :confused: :confused:

Like you I always try to be polite, to indicate what I am intending to do or what they need to do .... but you will always get those that dont take note for whatever reason :mad:

Fii

Visit site
Hi, we are breaking our Shetlands in the ride/drive this spring. We are very lucky to live on the Cornish coast, but rather unlucky to have the tourist traffic at peak holidays. One of the driving jobs will be to deliver produce from our farm shop to the local campsites. Our lanes are narrow and few passing places. What would you do if you met a vehicle that refused to back up? A bus or city driver for example??!!??

When you break your ponies just remember to teach them to stand still whenever you need them to for however long!! This will be invaluable to you. ;)
i have come across some quite rude and bad tempered drivers when out on country lanes, which serprises me as they are supposed to be on holiday ffs!
Just ask them politly to go back, as you cant, thankyou, and smile :D
Also could you put out some small signs along the route to warn people to drive carefully "horse drawn vehicles on road"