Driving people/zilco harness question

Nudibranch

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to adjust the length on the ZGB integrated traces? Mine have no buckles at all, and no slots. Just a dee end. I could attach a quick release shackle easily enough but that doesnt allow any adjustment of trace length. I've scoured the internet and all I can find from Zilco is that the trace length is adjusted "behind the horse". Well yes, but how? I can't find a coupling or attachment with any adjustment! I have a standard curly swingletree on a 4 wheeler and it would be pure fluke if the traces are the right length when I eventually hitch up.
Please someone point me in the right direction and save me banging my head against a brick wall. I'm sure it's something glaringly obvious I am not seeing here but....

Nudibranch

Visit site
It is quite odd, it's just a plain D. It must have been made to request or something as it looks to be finished the same as the rest of the harness, I.e. to Zilco stitch pattern/finish. I wonder if the harness has been used for pulling something other than a carriage. But it's giving me a right headache! None of the alternative couplings will work with it. I might have to replace the breastplate section with an SL or something with adjustable traces if I can't find a way round it. Grrr!

tda

Visit site
Get a saddler to punch some holes or slots in the ends and put them directly on the pigtails (what else are they called? ?)
Just 're read your post, so the traces and the breastplate are one complete item?

Littlewills

Visit site
You can buy the end pieces with the D rings separately, so I'd buy those and have a saddler, someone like PLAS maybe adjust the end of the traces and put a buckle on

Nudibranch

Visit site
Thanks all...some good suggestions. I'm thinking diy might be the way forward. OH is very handy and I have a some bits of saddlery kit about. Tda, yes it's a complete piece of harness. Probably great if you're trying to working with a four in hand but a pain in the neck for a single without the right ends!

Reactions: tda