Driving School Despair, Highway code 214 to 218 ? DUH

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
they have twitter too, that often works better as everyone can see it, not everyone can see visitors posts etc on fb so easier to ignore and let it go away.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
And we wonder why there so many idiots on the road, I'm Hi Viz ed up and horse has Hi Vis Leg bands at the front as well, plus Orange Rein covers, plenty of time to see me and pretty much unmissable

https://youtu.be/MG9LSYGa4Xk

**** fine example - don't forget Highway Code 47 - 58 https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58 and https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58 They need to know that too for carriage drivers like me and Leo Walker give us respect too as I had one so close to mine I could have lent behind and touched it with my arm stretched out as I was the passenger I might add, and then he was 1 inch from my ponies shafts when he passed.

Last edited:

stormox

Visit site
I wonder is it because they are on the opposite carriageway going in the opposite direction to you? Maybe people think the 'slow down' instructions only apply when they are passing horses on their side of the road?
When Im driving I tend to keep my eyes on my own side or slightly towards the verge.
Is there a speed limit on that road? All the traffic seemed very fast for a wet day.

phizz4

Visit site
We find that there are two issues.
1. People do not look ahead of themselves when they are driving, so they don't see you until the last minute; this is why there are so many motorway accidents where people plough into the back of a queue.
2. If the road that we are riding on is narrow enough not to have white lines down the middle they slow down (usually), but if it is wider, with two obvious lanes, they often don't. I assume that they think that there is enough space or that you aren't on their side of the carriageway so they don'r have to slow.

Bear in mind that many drivers have no concept of what a horse can or might do if frightened.

ROG

Visit site
If post basic car test driver training was made compulsory then many issues could be resolved but every Govt in power regards that as a vote loser

Lintel

Visit site
It was a driving instructor that I got my hatcam for.... Overtook me and my boy on a blind hill forcing the opposite driver into the grass and us into the small ditch! I sent him a lovely letter stating many facts and that I would be watching for him on my hat cam should he wish to drive like this again. He has passed a few times since and slowed accordingly!
If I were you if Facebook him :)

rachk89

Visit site
Nothing to add on the topic but I love seeing how well behaved your horse is on the hacking videos you post. I can only hope that my horse is even half as well behaved when he comes back from training. Like the canter up the a6, I'd die right now if I tried that with my horse. Not because he'd spook at the traffic, he'd spook at the grass and hedges on the left.