driving

parsley

Visit site
If I got my son's 13.2 pony going in harness would it make him more sellable (bearing in mind he is a bossy little tyke and not really suitable for a small novice child!). OR is driving such a speciallist market that it is unlikely that somebody will buy him to ride and drive. I don't mind spending the time getting him going if it will make a difference but am reluctant to do so if there is little point!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I would have thought so, as driving is another growing sport. We have 5 horses at our yard that are ride & drives, my sisters pony being one of them. You only have to look at Horse Deals section for driving horses/ponies. My daughters friend went to driving camp last week & it was fully booked. Also the classes are increasing especially with younger members.

parsley

Visit site
Thanks - do all the horse get driven? I wonder as my horse was sold has "having been driven" and I wonder if a lot of the ride and drives are like that - have been driven at some time but not any more.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
No they are all ride & drives & they all compete in driving classes as well as XC, SJ & Dressage at Riding club level. I am hoping once Sas has weaned her colt she will also go in harness. Driving for pleasure is also a nice past time & the horse receives a lot more exercise!

parsley

Visit site
Right! Thanks.
smile.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
I think it would be worthwhile getting him going in harness. It's so hard to predict the market, and driving looks like becoming the next big thing!

albert

Visit site
yes i would say its worth it.

i have a ride and drive, she is 14.2hh but if i had just been looking for something to ride i would not have looked at something that small, but i take her in pony class driven.

You would then be making him usefull to a lot more people and would increase his value, although to sell him you would need to show him driven, not just say that he has been so you would need to learn as well.

parsley

Visit site
I can drive - I love it!
smile.gif
I may not be particularly good at it - its like my riding - I am a happy hacker, so with my driving I'm a happy driver?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Not sure if it makes them more sellable but you could certainly get more money for them.
Having said that being a welshy type, lots of driving showing people like welshs to show both driven and ridden.