Driving?

Shantara

Visit site
When I get my own horse and I've established that, got a routine, sorted money etc out, I was thinking of getting a shetland/other mini horse to drive.

I've always loved the thought of trotting around my village and up the lane in a little cart :)

What weight can a shetland/similar type pull?
How easy is it to learn the basics (I'd only want to trit-trot around, nothing spectacular)
What price would I be looking at?
Do you know of any driving schools around Milton Keynes? (Though, the YO used to do some driving. I saw her old trap yesterday, which re-sparked my interest)

I can't think of anything else, but any other info would be great :)

millikins

Visit site
Be careful, it's addictive! Look up the British Driving Society website, they will have a club in your area and can advise you on instructors or might have a training day you could go along to.:)

Shantara

Visit site
Thank you :) I'll have a look in the morning! Bed time now :p

It does look addictive :p I've ridden on the back of the trap, but never driven, even being on the back was rather fun :D

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
is there a reason it has to be a second equine ...... could you not get an already established ride and drive neddie ?

a shetland can pull two adults easily as long as ground not too rough / boggy

It's not too hard really to learn to drive ( although some riders find it weird not having leg / weight aids any more ;) ) but its just as vital to learn how to harness up properly ( and to balance with a two wheeler) ...... the horrors of poorly fitted harness are just as bad as poor fitting saddles / bridles and you can really put a horse off if he has to take all the weight of the vehicle downwards or upwards..... and if the breeching not right and you bang the carriage against his hocks going down a hill he will quite rightly be rather narked :eek:

Price wise.. well depends on what kind of harness you would want, you can get webbing sets for about £100 on ebay or a bit more from libbys..... right up to leather ( just avoid the cheap indian stuff imo some of it is not good ! ) . You can get cheap execise vehicles ( about couple hundred) but then again you takes your chances........ some of them fine, some really cheap and nasty. ,,, or could get a funbug (if you can find a second hand one as they fly once advertised !!!)

I dont know what lessons cost , sorry

Shantara

Visit site
Quick answer (in bed, on phone!)
must be 2nd as i want a larger horse (14.3+) to ride first, since riding is what i really really want to do :)
driving is something id want to do on the side with a mini horse :)

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
ok ;) ..... cant the big one be multi purpose :D :D :D

my welshie d has done endurance with me, sj with my daughter and driving with me ;) .... or is that your driving fantasy is the shetty :D :D :D

not trying to change your mind lol , just curious

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Quick answer (in bed, on phone!)
must be 2nd as i want a larger horse (14.3+) to ride first, since riding is what i really really want to do :)
driving is something id want to do on the side with a mini horse :)

Size is no barrier, my lad is an ex-cde (like eventing bt driven instead of ridden) horse and he is 17-3hh. No problem finding a drive/ride.
FDC

hackneylass2

Visit site
Deffo get a ride and drive. Lots around at most heights...and if you choose well you will end up with a traffic savvy horse, which is always a good thing.

Two horses, especially a ride only and a drive only - will take up LOTS of time...and money!

If you plan on driving on the road you will need lessons; it can be very disconcerting at first, being a long way from the point of control :) not to mention spacial awareness!

I started driving after riding for about 12 years, it was a whole new ball game; there is a LOT to learn.

lazybee

Visit site
I started driving when we had a couple of Shetlands doing nothing and getting fat, so we started driving to keep them fit. I bought a small two wheeler from the local free ads. The harness came from ebay. (I find the ebay stuff can be very hit and miss) luckily the harness was reasonable quality webbing with a sliding back band. I'm not so sure you need lessons. I've never had any driving lessons, to be honest it isn't rocket science. There's lots of books around to learn the basics and a few golden rules to follow; plus plenty on youtube, have a look at this series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1zSpvhioQo&feature=related (a bit 'snooty' let it be whispered). Once you figure out the mechanics of the harness and how it works, it's quite simple. As others have said it is highly addictive and great fun. I am completely bitten by the bug and now have 5 regular driving horses from 16:3 to the Shetland also 10 carriages/gigs and done 2 weddings and kids rides at the local school open day. We often drive to the bakery in the village.

Just a note on driving Shetlands, yes they can take two adults but will need a lot of time and effort to get them into shape first. Ours (only one left now) is very fit, has no problems and can manage a couple of hours but finds it easier with one obviously.
I think I'd also be inclined to drive the horse you have now rather than getting another. All horses can be driven (even our Arab). Just because Shetlands are small they are no less work especially when working them, in fact mine is higher maintenance than the others.

If in doubt go for it! and have fun.

Kat

Visit site
Just to second the advice that you can drive any horse, the massive huge warmblood nextdoor to mine used to drive competitively, I have hacked him out a couple of times recently and he is bombproof in traffic. We also have a ride and drive coloured cob and a ride and drive fjord on our yard. The yard next door has ride and drive Shires. There are lots of driving horses in the area, mainly cob types and larger natives with a couple of hackneys.

katastrophykat

Visit site
I will add- it doesnt matter how fabulous you or your horse is, there are hundreds of idiots on the roads, so dont expect your trit trot to be stress free, my major issue is cars cutting me up while im going uphill- they need to trot on to pull you/carriage/groom and ive had a few pull in a foot from Ru's face. A few choice words have been passed- especially when i pulled into mum and dads street to collect a dressage test to go practice, and said offending driver was getting out their car opposite the house!!

It is, however, great fun, addictive and very social if you join a club.

Shantara

Visit site
Thanks for all the info :) I'm dashing off to work (Stupid alarm! Didn't go off, giving me 10mins to get ready!)

There is a reason for wanting 2 :)
I'm at a good yard at the moment, it's taught me a lot and the YO said I can keep a horse there when she gets more land this spring (if I can afford it buy then) and I hope to keep a horse there for a year or so.
However, my parents want to move away to scotland and they said they will look at houses with stables and fields.
If I get 2, a big one and a mini, then I can ride and drive and my mum can drive too :) She doesn't have any interest in riding anymore, but is willing to learn to drive...if it's a little horse.
Also, mini could keep big company :)

I think the YO still has her harness too, and the pony that used to drive, so I could always practice on him, putting it on and taking it off etc etc ^^ he's such a little sweetheart!

Edited to quickly add: I live in a little village with almost no traffic :) I wouldn't venture into town.
Will reply more later...the co-op awaits!

Shantara

Visit site
Also, i know any breed/size can be driven :p when i was little, i thought only shires could drive, haha! I didn't know any better untill i got a magazine with driving shetlands in a few years later :p

Lwhite

Visit site
I have shetlands that I drive and they are great fun. Finding harness and carriages to fit was a nightmare as there isn't that much around and it is quite costly. I ended up getting my harness from Canada ( Rons Harness ) excellent value including P&P and lovely harness.
A welsh sec A will be easier to find harness and carriage for. Have a look at the Dragon Driving website.
Recently tried pairs driving with them but unfortunately my older mare who is brill as a single just didn't take to it. So not all ponies will go as you expect them to.
Do join your local driving club, you don't need to have your own turnout as you can groom for someone and learn everything you will need and have fun at the same time.