Drop Fence

jackobear

Visit site
Hi

I am doing a rc ode tromorrow. Horsey is experienced and not first ODE and hunts so jumps shouldn't be a problem. But if he feels me backing off a bit he will nap and spin if he senses I am at all nervous.

So...there is a 3ft ish (maybe bit smaller) drop fence. I am bit nervous about it so he might sense this. Think he will be bit nervous coming into it too.

Should I go for a speedy canter lots of leg vocal encouragement or let him come back to a trot and just plop off the end?!

Any tips?
cool.gif

SillyMare

Visit site
Personally I would always go for a trot and pop (although you may still need lots of leg and vocal encouragement).

It is best if he doesn't learn to fling himself off drops while they are small. In future there may be a skinny fence or something on the landing side.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
i always just pop off a drop. i dont think its necessary to gallop at it, especially if the horse stops, or stumbles on the other side. just bring him back to tro, but keep your leg on. vocal encouragement- but not shouting, encouraging.
good luck, and have fun!

charliebo

Visit site
Collect your canter, keeping the energy and let him pop it. If you gallop you may land too far out and if you come without impulsion you may land in a heap. Remember to look up and slip your reins.
Good luck, drops are fun!

jackobear

Visit site
Thanks v much for your replies. I am going to do a slow canter and use my voice lots! I will adopt my hedge drop position from out hunting...might be a bit excessive but makes me feel safe!

kerilli

Visit site
just make sure you do your slowing down and organising well before the fence, so that then you can ride forward TO the fence at your new pace (slow bouncy canter or trot, whichever suits him best), rather than slowing as you get to the fence, which lots of people do without realising it.. if you do the latter, you won't ride forward to it. best of luck!