Drought, field fires and fly rugs ..

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Discussion at the yard at the moment

Should we be using fly rugs we are in drought but around the area as in the county we are in has gas field fires
My point of view is nylon fly rugs are a bit of a risk and fly bites are better than melted on rugs

The rest of yard is split any thoughts?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Can hear what you are saying OP, we are living in an unprecedented heatwave; some of us oldies can remember the 1976 heatwave but I don't seem to recall the ridiculously high temperatures we've having now, then. I remember being at my first-ever (and last-ever as it turned out!!) Pony Club Camp during that summer and boy was it hot! We were at a venue with not a jot of shade and I remember just being very very hot and uncomfortable.

Can see the concerns expressed, but frankly I think you have to estimate the risk: my old lad used to be at an equestrian college which was on the outside skirts of the local common and one day they had a fire up there - sadly it happens occasionally and 'tis a miracle it hasn't happened yet this year (don't want to jinks it by saying this either..........). So yes it IS a concern.

However, I have a livery's horse at my yard currently whose owner doesn't normally rug him against flies, and he's been eaten ALIVE. I saw him this morning. The owner is off to buy a fly rug for him. (Ohh gosh, that'll make it rain for sure.......). It isn't the horseflies this hot weather, it is the little pesky blackflies that are the problem, they are quite vicious and I've been bitten by them to the extent that I'm unable to wear shorts or short-sleeved tops anymore. Got bitten by them at work; they bit me through socks on my ankles and I was in sooh much itchy distress I had to come home to take oral anti-hists. They are NASTY.

Widgeon

Visit site
I don't use them in extreme heat anyway as they sweat under them.

Yes this, the only horses on our yard currently wearing them are the ones who would get eaten alive and swell up. Mine starts to sweat under his fly rug as soon as the temperatures hit high twenties. I haven't really bothered with it this year, but he doesn't react terribly badly anyway, he just gets a bit lumpy. You have to choose the lesser of two evils for your particular horse, which I guess includes factoring in the (still quite low) risk of a disastrous and inescapable fire.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes this, the only horses on our yard currently wearing them are the ones who would get eaten alive and swell up. Mine starts to sweat under his fly rug as soon as the temperatures hit high twenties. I haven't really bothered with it this year, but he doesn't react terribly badly anyway, he just gets a bit lumpy. You have to choose the lesser of two evils for your particular horse, which I guess includes factoring in the (still quite low) risk of a disastrous and inescapable fire.

I only tend to use fly rugs in horse fly season as my horses can't tolerate them in the peak of it but even those didn't seem as bad this year, they get the odd bite and one of mine has a slight bumpy rash at the moment but his not rubbing it.

A field round here with horses in caught fire but they got them out quickly and all were fine.

Northern

Visit site
There's no hard and fast rule unfortunately.
We have had some cracking hot summers, complete with 50km/h NW winds (straight from the desert). Dangerous weather where even a car parked on dry grass can spark a major fire.

I keep my horses largely rugged with fly masks but monitor the conditions carefully. If there is a day forecast with high winds, high temperatures and low humidity everyone is stripped as a fire starting in those conditions is unlikely to be controllable. Higher humidity, no wind etc. is less of a danger.

Grass fires tend to run very fast and very hot so you wouldn't want anything on the horse which can burn. On high fire days the best preparation is to consider popping your horse in a barren paddock and planning any evacuation routes should the worst occur. If there is a fire threatening, make your horse identifiable should they escape. Around here, we prefer to write our phone numbers on their hooves in permanent marker on dangerous days.

Hope the heatwaves pass quickly for your guys, countries not set up for the heat are struggling horrendously I'm sure.

Sanguine

Visit site
Fires have been a huge occurance here - some natural or kids being idiots and using grass fires as an excuse to really hide watch they did ?

2 yards near me got caught, one was a sanctuary the other was a private - thankfully all are safe and I believe got temporary grazing

It is scary ? I personally wouldn't use a fly rug but that's my preference!

sakura

Visit site
Mine still has a fly rug on. She’ll sweat with or without it but at least with it on she has protection against the flies. They drive her insane otherwise and she spends more energy batting them off

SEL

Visit site
I've got just the one in a rug and when I had it off him briefly on Tuesday he was turning himself inside out with flies. I was holding the microcob for the farrier so couldn't re-rug him for 20 mins but he got himself so worked up it's been on daily since.

We've had a couple of big fires around here. One with a combine going up mid job. That took out the uncut crop but it stopped at the stubble thankfully. Lots of verges catching light too - cigarettes I guess. It is worrying.

Marigold4

Visit site
I never use fly rugs I have tried but the horses get hot .
My horses live in during the day .
I think its important to have a plan for wild fires it might seem OTT but spending twenty minutes thinking what would we do would be time well spent .

Any thoughts on what you would plan to do in a fire? I've thought about different places to go depending on direction of fire/wind. Any other tips? i have big fields of maize on two sides that have yet to be combined ?

Sealine

Visit site
I’m a livery on a working farm and they aren’t harrowing or ploughing at the moment due to risk of fire. A fire was caused recently after a flint sparked when a local field was being harrowed.

If you want a fire plan you need to consider access for fire service vehicles and access to water supply as well as an evacuation plan.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Mine gets covered in hives head to toe if i put her out with no fly rug on during summer months, god knows what she is allergic to but easily controlled with fly rug.
She is thin coated wb so doesnt get too hot.
Also a sweet itch cob on the yard will lose sanity if turned out without fly rug on.
All others naked