Dry, cracking hooves - Cornucresine or Keratex? Quick answers please..

Apalacia01

Visit site
Pony has recently had shoes off and front feet are cracking quite badly. She has been barefoot before, but taken off last time in winter, so they seemed alright. They are now quite cracked, and was wondering which dressing was better out of these two? Cornucresine is decidedly cheaper.....quick votes please as I am getting debit card happy on inet!

BeckyD

Visit site
I would use a moisturiser to start with like NAF Hoof moist - and rub cornucrescine into the coronet every day. Keratex can make them hard but very brittle as well so go easy on it. It can be good for toughening barefoot hooves up or getting hooves hard enough to hold a shoe, but if they're cracking because they're brittle it'll just make the situation worse. Just my opinion of course, I'm not a farrier
grin.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
Ah, my favourite, differing opinions. Think that I will probably go for cornucresine....seems a bit cheaper and can be used regularly? Will keep researching....

Ronaldo Too - thanks - will have a look at the Hoof Moist - that makes sense that it is due to the ground being dry....

Kenzo

Visit site
Big fan of cornucresine, I've used it on a lot ponies in the past who have have poor hooves, sand cracks, dry hooves, for horn growth, all with very good results along with a healthy diet and a good farrier.

also can't beat it for healing scars and hair re-growth.
smile.gif

Nailed

Visit site
froma farriers point of view... keretex hoof hardener should only really be used once a week max! i'd say only to use this after the hooves have been trimmed.. once.

Cornecresin is useless onthe actual hoof wall and does NOTHIN! rub it into the coronet each day. this will encourage hoof growth.

NAF hoof moist, every day on boths the sole and the hoof wall will help the hoof to regain moisture.

Lou x

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse had this problem and I took his shoes off for 9 months, I could put my finger in the holes between his hoof and shoe and see them the other side!

I fed horse Farriers formula and used cornucrescine as Cornucres not only strengthens the hoof, it makes it grow quicker and it helps the cracks and holes to growe out faster. Its also really good for your hands and nails.

You could also try formula for feet.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Just got the cornucresine hoof strengthener. Will see how it goes...thanks for the responses! I figured it was a mix between the Cornucresine and the NAF - and was feeling a bit too poor to get both, so I will try the mixed one. Thanks everyone!

Ziggy_

Visit site
I use an Effol hoof moisturiser - £6 for a tub that last ages and its really good on dry, cracking hooves.

LoneRanger

Visit site
LifeData hoof disinfectant. It kills the bacteria in any cracks or nail holes in the hooves (although am assuming you have no nail holes if barefoot). Works within a week, it's marvellous stuff. If you go with Keratex make sure you only use it on the soles and in the nail holes.

CBAnglo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
froma farriers point of view... keretex hoof hardener should only really be used once a week max! i'd say only to use this after the hooves have been trimmed.. once.

Cornecresin is useless onthe actual hoof wall and does NOTHIN! rub it into the coronet each day. this will encourage hoof growth.

NAF hoof moist, every day on boths the sole and the hoof wall will help the hoof to regain moisture.

Lou x

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what my farrier told me.